Opinions On The Zeiss 35mm/2 or 35mm/2.8 Biogon ZM?

<p>I just bought a nice M6TTL from Koh's Camera. Now, I'd like a 35mm/2.0 to shoot with it. Used Leica 35mm/2.0's seem insanely priced, true of even the older non-ASPH models. Now I'm thinking of the Zeiss 35mm/2 Biogon ZM new or used. Another option would be the Zeiss 35mm/2.8. Any opinions? Thanks...jim</p>

I own and use the Zeiss 25mm f2.8 Biogon M. It is stellar, and I wouldn't think of trading it for a Leica 24mm. If the 35's are anything like the 25 (and all the feedback I've heard about the 35 f2 says it is) you have nothing to worry about.

In 35mm, I love the Canon 35mm f2 Black so much I use it more than my Summicrons.

<p>Well, you cannot go wrong with Zeiss optics. You may find the ergonomics a bit hard to get used to. I have two Ziess lenses, the 25/2.8 and 21/2.8 and find them excellent. I believe the 35/2.8 is particularly good. I think the Summaron 35/2.8 is a spectacular lens--I have one. The optics and build quality are outstanding. If you are in the market for one buy it in person if you can. This lens is around a half a century old, and a lot can happen in that time. <br>

The Zeiss 35/2.8 fresh out the box might be your best choice if you buying sight unseen.</p>

<p>My favorite 35mm M-mount lens is the Zeiss 35mm F2 Biogon. While the 35mm Summicron ASPH may be a bit sharper wide open, I just love the rich tonality of the Biogon lens and it has become my first choice if I am using a 35mm lens (I also own the 25mm Biogon, which I think is better than my 24mm f 2.8 Elmarit ASPH, and also the 28mm Biogon, which is a credible performance in its own right. In addition to the 25mm Biogon, my best lens in my Zeiss ZM kit is the 50mm Planar.), relying on the 35mm Summilux ASPH only when I need the additional f-stop. Erwin Puts has tested both 35mm Biogons, and, surprisingly, has found the 35mm f2.8 Biogon to be better than the 35mm f2.5 Summarit-M with regards to holding shadow detail (Not bad for a lens that costs nearly half of its Leica equivalent.). If you need the extra speed, then the f2 Biogon is your best bet. Otherwise, for slightly better image quality, consider the f2.8 Biogon instead.</p>

<p> </p>