EG s focusing screen

jim_morka

<p>Hi, <br>

I know, many photographers reviewed that optional Eg S focusing screen for 5D Mark II would be very useful for more precise focusing. At the same time, I've learned that it made rather for fast (starting from f2.8) lenses, while on slower lenses, the viewfinder would be rather dark. <br>

I do have few fast lenses (100 mm macro f2.8 and 50 mm 1.4), however, I see that most of my lenses start with f 4.0, which would mean that with Eg S lenses I would have quite darker view on viewfinder.<br>

Have anyone experienced and can advise me - does the Eg S focusing screen would still serve well for slower lenses such as f 4.0 for getting more precise focusing? Or keeping in mind that most of my lenses are starting with f 4.0, I should rather stick to standard focusing screen? </p>

<p>I believe that the background on my 5D (mark 1) 'grid' screen (Ee-D) is the same as the fine focus (Ee-S), and I have no trouble at all with the f/4 24-105mm in touching up or manually focusing such lenses as my f/8 reflex Nikkor.<br>

I also have, but don't use it very often, the Ee-S screen and never had any problem with it either. I <em>think</em> these are essentially the same as the equivalent Mark II screens.</p>

<p>I use the equivalent Ee-S on my 5D mk 1. Most of my lenses are f/2.8 or faster, but I do use the 24-105 f/4 pretty often. At f/4 the view is darker, but still usable. At f/5.6 it's getting pretty dark.</p>

<p>The screens are relatively easy to change, so you can switch back and forth. Only takes a minute or two, though you'll want to do it in a dust-free place. You also have to switch a custom function to get the meter to read right.</p>

<p>I bought both Type D and Type S screens for my 5D (original) so as to be able to evaluate them by comparison with the Type A screen supplied with the camera. Although I have some fast lenses, my usual walk-around kit is based on the f/4 zooms, and I found that the Type S screen was (for me) too dark for use with such a kit, and completely useless with my 100~400. I did not even like it with an f/2.8 lens, but with the 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and 135/2 the attraction of that screen was clear. However, I have not bought further Type S screens for subsequent camera bodies, because changing screns is not a task I am comfortable with doing routinely, and I find that the other screens work well enough with fast lenses.</p>

<p>JDM, it is certainly not the case that the Type D screen has the same behaviour as the Type S screen. My understanding is that the Type S screen works in a way that somewhat resembles a microprism focusing aid, which is why it blacks out rather dramatically at smaller apertures, whereas both the Type A and Type D screens degrade gracefully. Canon literature is a bit vague on the difference between Type A and Type D, apart from the obvious fact that Type D has a grid and Type A does not. I simply don't believe that the presence or absence of a grid would make it necessary to provide different settings in the CF that has to be set to match the screen, and that view is consistent with what we know from the 1-series cameras, where the Ec screens go right back to film days with the EOS-1. The Ec-D screen requires the same setting on 1-series bodies (from the EOS-3 and EOS-1V and on into the 1D series) as the standard Ec-C, Ec-CII, and Ec-CIII screens, and the alternative setting was introduced with the Ec-N screen standard with the EOS-3. The Ec-N and Ec-CIII screens are completely identical except that the Ec-CIII is slightly less bright but has more "bite" for manual focusing compared to the Ec-N, and this would explain why there is an effect on metering for which compensation is necessary. When I had an EOS-3 I actually put an Ec-CIII screen into it in place of the Ec-N. I believe that the Type A screen has a balance betwen brightness and bite similar to that of the Ec-N screen, whereas the Type D screen resembles the Ec-CIII and the Ec-D in that respect. I like using the Type D screen for manual focusing, and have one permanently in my 5DII and my 50D. Unfortunately I find the grid less useful than I hoped, because it is often not easy to see.</p>

<p>I use the EgS screen on the 5dII and have no problem with the 70-200 f4. It is a little darker but not a problem. All the rest of my lenses are f2.8 or faster and it is good for those. Since I do less manual focussing than I thought I would however, I am not sure it is necessary to use this screen, but I can't be bothered to change it at present.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>I have never had any trouble using the S screen on the 5D, regardless, though I simply have not found it necessary for manual focus work with lots of different old lenses adapted to the 5D.<br>

I certainly have always been able to see the grid on the D screen, even with the f/8 Reflex-Nikkor and other old adapted, slow lenses. I see in the manual that I was mislead by the word "precision" used for the D screen--it is the same as the A screen (also "precision") underneath the grid, whereas the S screen is "super precision".</p><div>00W49q-231395584.thumb.jpg.d348a05e4252a10b0ecfef883565b46d.jpg</div>