should i buy Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens?

ana_leticia

<p>I've even got the fairly un-great EF 75-300mm IS lens (the all-time first IS) which I bought almost immediately before the newer and much improved 70-300 came out. I'm happy enough with the old one to have stuck with it, but if I were faced with the choice between the very nice EF-S 55-250mm IS and the older EF 70-300mm IS, I'd buy the 70-300 right now. There are also some bargains in the L lines in this area, but you lose some focal length and even IS, and I'd always get the IS where I have any choice at all.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Telephotos are not usually used in scenarios where IS is required</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I use my 70-300 for landscapes as much as I use the 17-55. So in taht instance I would say that IS is <em>more useful</em> on the 70-300 than it is on the 17-55.</p>

<p>I think the 70-300 is worthwhile getting. The 55-250 is lighter and more compact but apparently not as good quality as the 70-300 (I haven't used the 55-250). So what compromise you want to make - weight or ultimate image quality and much of this depends on how you will view the images. Will it be on monitor, or print; and if print, what size? Viewing on-screen or prints up to 8x12 the differences will be much less than you imagine.<br>

Have a look at this site which compares them: <a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx">http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx</a><br>

Remember that the phot example on the review page is equivalent to a print about 5 feet wide!</p>

<p>Ana,<br>

I have the XSi and the EF-S 55-250. Here's a link to my Flickr set of photos taken with that combination.<br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanmeador/sets/72157622937861704/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanmeador/sets/72157622937861704/</a><br>

This will give you an idea of what I've been able to do with the 55-250. Overall I find it meets my needs. Sometimes I wish for faster AF and sometimes I wish it were a faster lens, but most of the time it does just fine!<br>

I hope this helps you in your decision making.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>I have one in very good condition if you are hunting for a used one...</p>

<p>My only complaints with this lens is that it can hunt around a bit when you are trying to focus in certain situations - for example a market scene with people milling around. It has a bit of noise from the IS element as well but I never found that disconcerting. It is not a small lens but reasonable to work with even in a crowd.</p>

<p>Someone mentioned the 70 - 200 F/4 lenses, there are dozens upon dozens of posts around of people comparing and debating between this lens and the non-IS version of the 70 - 200 as they fall into a similar price range. Depending on how much you like to torture yourself you can read through those and bounce back and forth ad infinitum....</p>

<p>I used a 70-200 f4 lens as a travel lens, but when I changed this in a deal for a 70-200 f2.8 IS lens, I was without a travel lens. I bought the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS and used it on my previous trip. While it has a nice range, I was thoroughly disappointed with it. It is not in the same league as the 70-200 f4 lens and has a terrible bouquet. The end result is that I sold the 70-300 and bought a 70-200 f4 lens, which by the way is a wonderful lens and I actually prefer this lens to my f2.8. It is a bit sharper and due to the smaller size more versatile. </p>

<p>I suggest considering the EF-S 15-85 instead as an all-in-one solution with greater utility and quality than the existing kit lens. It gives a FF-equivalent field of view of 24-135 which is very nice, better than the 24-105 (on a FF) I last took on travel, which served the majority of my shots while the 70-200 f/4 rarely made it out of the hotel. In this view, which is of course personal and not entirely universal, a long lens is often more of a liability than a necessity in travel, and one's better served by a better and wider standard lens, with the long lens as an after-thought if that, optimized for portability (e.g. the EF-S 55-250 would be preferred as it's more portable and cheaper).</p>