9x12 Question

<p>I'm a b&w photographer (serious avocation) working in medium and large format.<br>

I recently purchased an Ica Sirena 9x12 with holders (I have a weakness for vintage cameras!) I just purchased some 9x12 film sheaths. But I'm wondering about film:<br>

Adox makes a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 film. Cutting a piece of paper to these exact dimensions, the length is perfect, but the width just reaches to the flanges on both sides; but not under them.<br>

Does anyone know if Adox film is slightly wider than the nominal width? If not, I may have to use paper negs, which I can cut precisely. That's not a big problem, as I bought the camera with the idea of shooting paper negs; but I'd like to have the ability to shoot film.<br>

What's weird here is that 9x12 film seems to be TOO big, as those dimensions ever so slightly exceed the outside dimensions of the sheaths.<br>

(BTW, 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 sheaths exist, but as this is the overall dimension, they wouldn't fit in the 9x12 holders.)<br>

Thanks for any help!</p>

<p>I remember a discussion about German Zeiss plate cameras with holders made in two sizes: 9x12 for continental Europe and 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 for the USA, Canada and UK. Thus you might have luck in finding film sheath that accept the USA size film made by Zeiss that will fit your camera.</p>

<p>Thanks. I just Googled the subject, and found a thread from 2004. Apparently the actual dimensions of "9x12" cm film are 88mm by 117 mm. I cut a piece of paper to those dimensions and it fits perfectly. Freestyle sells 9x12 film, so I think I'm in luck.<br>

Paul</p>

<p>Paul B., the difference between the actual widths of these two films, equals the difference between their nominal widths. (3.25" = 82.5mm nominal, versus 90mm nominal for 9x12cm)</p>

<p>I have a Zeiss Ikon plate camera in 3 1/4 x 4 1/4, and the identical model in 9x12cm. The 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 model is visibly smaller, and requires smaller (and very scarce) plateholders and sheaths..</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have one Zeiss insert number 725/4 that appears to be made for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 film. Too small for 9x12cm. The 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 sheet I have fits but does seem a little loose. It would work though. This insert fits right into the standard Zeiss 665/7 9x12 holders just like the 9x12 film sheaths.<br>

I use the Efke 100 9x12 film from Freestyle and it works fine for me. Give it a try.</p>

<p>Thanks all. As I mention, based upon the earlier thread's comment about the precise dimensions of "9x12" film, it fits perfectly.</p>

<p>This is all logical. One would assume that 9x12 film would fit in a 9x12 sheath to be used in a 9x12 holder for a 9x12 camera!</p>

<p>I've already ordered the film from Freestyle. (Bless Freestyle!!!)</p>

<p>Paul</p>