Tie a users history to their identification?

mendel_leisk

<p>I notice on a few other sites with forums, if I visit a certain thread, say at my work pc, when I get home it's highlighted as being read as well. This does not happen with photo.net, which is apparently using a proprietary design, that only flags pages visitted on a specific computer.</p>

<p>I did ask if this could be done, a few years back, and I believe the responses I got were that it could not. At the time I was not aware that other forum sites, with more off-the-shelf designs, were able to do this.</p>

<p>Just wondering if times have changed, or if there would be some way now that photo.net could manage this?</p>

<p>Anything is possible with enough programming time and energy. Do we have an unlimited supply of either? No we do not.</p>

<p>I do agree that the vB style "viewed/new" thread notification is much better. And it's on my long list of things to do to see if something similar can't be done here. However, if the answer is that it will be very difficult and complicated, then I'm not going to be able to dedicate the resources. There is simply too much to do and not enough manpower.</p>

<p>I think the color change (blue to purple is standard) when a thread is read is a browser property, which depends on entries in the browser history. It's not set via a photo.net cookie so it's specific to a given PC using a given browser. Even on the same PC it won't be the same in IE and Netscape since the two browsers don't share history files.</p>

<p>As Josh says, anything is possible, but it would require quite a lot of programming work to mark threads as read by using a cookie and based on user history stored on the photo.net server.</p>

<p>In the meantime, if you want to check back on older threads you have participated in, go to your "My Workspace" and from there scroll down to your own "full forum history", make a bookmark for that, and you can see (and go to) any posts you've ever made on the site regardless of which computer terminal you were working on when you made any given post..</p>

<p>I subscribe to the RSS feed. Use Google reader to mark them read as I've looked. For each thread that interests me, I click on the "notify me of reponses" link and then keep track of the thread in a specific folder in gmail, which does a great job with threaded conversations.</p>

<p>I'd hate for photo.net to spend a lot of time "upgrading" because what they have already works, and it's one less place I have to manually check. </p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>Bob,

CleanMPG for example, if I read a thread at work, when I get home it's still indicated as read, at least I think that's the way it's working. That is, as long as I'm logged on at both locations. I'll check it out a little more thoroughly and post what I find. I know someone started a thread today, and I first looked at it here at my work pc. I believe when I get home tonight (logged in at both locations as same user), it will still indicate as being a page I have accessed.</p>