Ansco Super Memar--Great camera, strange name!

<p>What is a "Memar" anyway? This is the Ansco Super Memar, the US version of the Agfa Super Silette, and this is the model with the Solagon f/2, 6-element lens and the Synchro-Compur shutter which allows a maximum shutter speed of 1/500s. This is a lens that is known for its sharpness and my particular example held true to form and upheld the great reputation. Now, an explanation of the pictures...there are times when we load a roll of film into a camera with the intention to shoot it and get it developed right away, and then there are times when we load a roll of film and become distracted and take the better part of a year to finish the roll. That was the case with this camera. I started last spring (hence the tulips) and finished the roll a couple of weeks ago, which explains the snow. The camera itself is a joy to use. It has that wonderful solid German engineering feel to it, where every part of the operation feels precise. I think the camera's design is that of a classic 1950's (somewhat understated) design and even though it's a nice, compact design, it is a quite capable camera with a full range of shutter speeds and that phenomenal lens. Agfa Silettes are really nice cameras to use because they just feel like they're well-built, and this one has even more heft because of the f/2 lens and the Synchro-Compur shutter. Here are a few shots that I took over the course of the year; unfortunately they're all scenics. Next time I'll try to mix it up a little bit and add more variety to the pictures, but for now, I hope you enjoy some of these.</p><div>00W16q-229787784.jpg.c90c895fbd21044e25398a87752a9dc1.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>This is a really cool camera with a great feel to it. If you have a chance to use a Silette, even the basic model, do so; if you can find the 'Solagon' version it's even nicer. They really have a wonderful feel of high quality to them and they deliver consistently. The 'Solagon' model has a fantastic reputation, and it's easy to see why.</p>

<p>Beautiful images, Andy, and a fascinating camera, rare in my part of the world. I'm a real Silette fan, and I've been keeping a watch for one of these for quite some time, so there's a tinge of envy as I type! It's exactly the style of camera I admire most; lean and mean, nicely proportioned and beautifully built, with a good German heft to it. Great lens; that Shot#4 is totally 3-dimensional. Thanks for a wonderful post.</p>

<p>Memar was an Ansco lens name, which I think was derived from Memo, which was Ansco's first 35mm camera.<br>

<a href=" ansco memo

<p><a href=" agfa memo

<p>You can see the Memar name on the lens of the Agfa Memo in the second link. So then the name that began with a camera and then was modified to apply to a lens was reassigned back to a camera again. It all gets so confusing.....</p>

<p>:)=</p>

• Like 2

<p>What do you mean "sometimes" you get distracted and take the better part of a year to finish a roll? That's normal around here :-). The sky came out really wonderful on the sunset image. How do you find the viewfinder? I have never tried a Silette, but similar cameras I have tried seemed to have a viewfinder a bit on the squinty side.</p>

<p>Ed--Now that you mention it, it does sound like that!</p>

<p>Starvy--Thanks. I do it a lot more often than I'd like to.</p>

<p>Rick--Thank you for such kind compliments! This one doesn't pop up too often, but when they do, they don't command quite as much as they used to, which makes it easier to acquire. It really is a pleasure to use and a joy to just look at!</p>

<p>Richard--Thanks for the links and the info.</p>

<p>Louis--Thank you kindly for such great feedback!</p>

<p>Shash--Thank you. It's becoming more normal for me too, it seems. The viewfinder is a little small but fortunately the RF patch is very clear and easy to see and use.</p>

<p>Patrick--LOL! You are most welcome.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong>Mike</strong> --Thanks. I'd like to see an article on this camera from Pop Photo as well; it'd be interesting to see what they said about it.</p>

<p><strong>James</strong> --Thanks! I've not tried the Voigtlander finder. Have you and if so, what do you think of it?</p>

• 12 years later...
On 3/16/2010 at 7:30 PM, richard_oleson said:

<p>Memar was an Ansco lens name, which I think was derived from Memo, which was Ansco's first 35mm camera.<br>

<a href=" ansco memo

<p><a href=" agfa memo

<p>You can see the Memar name on the lens of the Agfa Memo in the second link. So then the name that began with a camera and then was modified to apply to a lens was reassigned back to a camera again. It all gets so confusing.....</p>

<p>:)=</p>

What a beautiful camera !