Using a Cavas Print as a Signature Mat/Print

chauncey_huffman

<p>I just did an engagement session and the bride wants to use one of the pictures as a canvas print that will double as a signature mat. She wants to order a 16x20 Canvas print, but only have the image printed in the middle in an 11x14 size to leave the unprinted canvas as space for signatures. My question is, has anyone had any experience doing this? Is there a certain pen they will need to use to show up on the canvas and not bleed too much? I am more than willing to do this, but I would like to get some feedback from others who have done it before, so I can avoid any problems that I might run into. Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>It's not a bad idea.... BUT.... I see one problem just right off.<br>

The texture of the canvas is going to make it very difficult for people to put signatures around the print and for those signatures to look good.<br>

I would personally encourage her towards art paper, which can still cause the texture problem, but there are papers available that would look pretty but not be so bumpy it's hard to write on.</p>

<p>I do this all the time. But, never on canvas. I do it on a hot pressed fine art paper mounted on Gatorfoam. The image size is 8x10 gallery centered on 16x20. The canvas doesn't work because it's not rigid enough to write on without being extremely careful. Also, 11x14 is too much image on a 16x20 and doesn't allow enough room for people to write short messages. Sharpie Ultra Fine Point pens work great for signing and it's easier for guests to write on if the print is laid flat on a table.</p>

<p>I too do this with foamcore mounted 16x20's. I do both 8x10 and also a grouping of 4 4x5 prints. By the time I leave most weddings there is no room left to write, so you may consider a smaller inner image or larger print. As for canvas, you can always insert a wood or stiff foam backer to put between the strechers as a bearing surface. Just make sure the guest have a sharpie type marker and don't have wet hands when they sign.</p>

<p> </p>