D90 or spluge for D300s

leigh_mazion

<p>Ok, I just sold my D70s and I'm ready to upgrade. The D70s was a great camera, but I'm looking for better high ISO performance and better focusing. What I like about the D300s is viewfinder, 51 focus points, dual card slot. The D90 feels like my D70s with better ISO and focusing.</p>

<p>I like to shoot portraits, my girls soccer and swimming, piano recitals, bike racing, neighbors kids playing hockey, and general nature including macro. If I get the D90, I could also add a lens to my kit. If I go with the D300s, a news lens would wait a while. This is what I currently have:</p>

<p>D60 (travel camera and stays in the car)<br>

SB600 flash<br>

Nikon 18-70mm<br>

Nikon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 (love this lens!)<br>

Nikon 70-210 f4 (poor man's 80-200)<br>

Nikon 70-300 VR<br>

Sold my 50mm f1.8 with the D70s</p>

<p>Wants:<br>

Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro<br>

fast prime to repalce the 50mm f1.8<br>

Tokina 12-24 for landscapes</p>

<p>So what do you think, D90 + lens now, or D300s and wait on the lens?</p>

<p>Like you I was really taken by the larger viewfinder the D300 offers (same as D300s). I shot with the D90 and was very familiar with that form factor from my D80 but the larger size of the D300 fits my hand better (I had to add a battery grip on the D80 and don't find that as essential with the D300)</p>

<p>On the other hand the D90 gives you all the advances in image quality, iso and etc... I'd rent or borrow the D300s and decide if the ergonomics and viewfinder make enough of a difference for you.</p>

<p>The better AF of the D300 is very nice, but it's not like the D90 is that bad at it. The screw-driven lenses should get a boost from the D300, though.<br>

Asd for the weather proofing and durability - again, the D90 is no softie. Weatherproofing, in my opinion, gets mentioned and hyped so much that it makes people believe that cameras without it will immediately break down in a normal rain... <br>

Yes, a D300 can help for what your shooting, but the D90 will do the job nearly as good, and you could get 1 or 2 lenses of that wishlist. It's not like sports demands a D300, it just is a bit better at it. You have to decide a bit for yourself there what the real priorities are.<br>

<br>

Anyway. Tony makes 2 very good points that shouldn't be overlooked: the viewfinder (though, again, the D90 is very close to the D300), and, more important, the way the body feels and fits your hand. The D300 is closer in size to the D70 than a D90, since the D70 was relatively large. So, I can mostly second the advice to go to a store and handle them for a while; it could well be that the D300 fits you better than a D90 coming from a larger body.<br>

Where I do not agree with Tony is the alleged advances in image quality and ISO between the D300 and D90. They're nearly equal, and proper processed files from the 2 cameras will in practise be indistinguishable.</p>

<p>I'll go with D90 and have enough money to upgrade your F4.0 zoom to F2.8.<br>

The 12MB sensor in D90/D5000/D300s is getting a little old now and it is not worth spending extra $700-$750 unless you really need the speed or some of the extra features the D300s provides.<br>

It is wise to spend more money on lenses whenever possible.</p>