Cartier-Bresson books

c_wyatt

<p>Discalimer: Sorry, have searched for the answer to this but am just getting confused.</p>

<p>I am looking to buy a reasonably comprehensive book of Cartier-Bresson photographs.<br>

I have found two very similar ones, both <em>'Henri Cartier-Bresson - Photographer'</em></p>

<p><a href="http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Arts_Photography/Photography/Collections/9780821219867/">http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Arts_Photography/Photography/Collections/9780821219867/</a></p>

<p><a href="http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Arts_Photography/Photography/Collections/9780500541791/">http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Arts_Photography/Photography/Collections/9780500541791/</a></p>

<p>Published at almost the same time, but one in the UK, one in the US, and with different numbers of pages, slightly different size, and different prices. Anyone seen these? Recommendations? I can't figure out the difference.</p>

<p>They both have 155 illustrations. 99% sure it's the same book. The UK and US publishers would have added different boilerplate and had some control over the covers.</p>

<p>I think this is the same book I saw at the Boston MFA, and it was a very good book.</p>

<p>Ofey I did not know his scrapbook. I'll try to find it. Thanks for the reference.<br>

The best and most comprehensive book I have on Cartier-Bresson is the one of Jean-Pierre Montier "Henri Cartier-Bresson - L'art sans Art" (Flammarion, Paris, 1995). It has a fantastic text, but in French, and hundreds of photos (320 pages). If you do not read French, it is still worth the money - a book you easily find second hand.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. Akaky, your suggested book is also much more reasonably priced here. Maybe not published to the same quality of the '<em>Photographer</em>' one? Hard to know. I am also probably going to pick up the pretty cheap <em>'The Mind's Eye' </em>compilation of writing.</p>

<p>The <em>Scrapbook </em>looks rather incredible.</p>

<p>'In 1946 Cartier-Bresson travelled to New York with about 300 prints in his suitcase, bought a scrapbook, glued each one in and brought that album to MoMA's curators. Here, published for the first time in its entirety, is a facsimile of that famous scrapbook.'</p>

<p>Now that's a good idea for a book...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think I own just about every book released on Cartier Bresson with an english version, and think all of the recommendations so far are good ones. There are three that I think fit what you are looking for more than all others:<br>

1) Henri Cartier Bresson: the man, the image & the world; this is the MOST comprehensive in terms of total images and periods of his work. <br>

2) Henri Cartier Bresson: Photographer; this is the best of the compilations of his most famous work.<br>

3) Henri Cartier Bresson & the Artless Art; this contains a lot of essays on his work, most of which are great, but the essays are really the focus of the book. </p>

<p>Hi Shawn,<br>

Reviews I've read suggest that perhaps the printing in the 'the man, the image and world' is perhaps not great, and while it covers a lot of different images, some are annoyingly small while others go across a double page spread and therefore sink into the spine of the book. Do you find this?</p>

<p>Camus,<br>

The printing and quality of the pages are fine. Some of HCB's pictures taken from the 1930s don't look they are printed well, but that is the case with all of the different books that contain these pictures.<br>

However, you are correct about the sizes of the pictures. Many of them are small, while others are on two page spreads with the annoying book crease separating the pages. Nevertheless, it is the most comprehensive volume of his images, and the only book available today that encompasses all of his different books and periods.<br>

If you are looking for <strong><em>full page reproductions</em></strong> of his most famous pictures, the volume you want is Henri Cartier Bresson: Photographer.<br>

Hope this helps. </p>

<p> </p>