How to Resize an Image

dorothy_kay

<p>Please help me resize the attached image to 8 x 10". I have read the photo.net posts, and I have followed the directions in "Photoshop CS3 for Photographers" by Scott Kelby, numerous times, to no avail. Thank you in advance, and please note that I am mentally challenged regarding all this high tech 'stuff'! PS if you don't get the image it's because I can't do anything as simple as that.</p>

<p>Hi Dorothy,<br />There is no image attached, but I can tell you how to do it with the crop tool in CS3. You may or may not know that digital cameras don't produce the same size files as film cameras used to, so what used to be an 8x10 image is now around 8x12. That means you're going to have to crop some of your image to print it in an 8x10 size.<br />Open your image in CS3, and click on the crop tool (if you have that left hand toolbar open, it's the fifth one down). When you click on the crop tool, a bar will appear at the top of your page right under the toolbar, with boxes you can fill in that say "width" and "height". If your photo is in a vertical orientation, you set the width to 8 and the height to 10. If it's in landscape orientation, you do just the opposite. Then click in the upper left corner of your photo, starting somewhere below the top if you want to crop out part of the top, and drag the box until you see a crop that you like. This will make a bit more sense when you're actually doing it. It will give you the option of accepting the crop, or discarding it and trying again until you like what you see. If you want to keep the original, be sure to do a "save as" and save it under a different file name when you're done.</p>

Dorothy,

What is the image size that you are starting with, pixel width by pixel height?

Devon, BTW, 35mm film frames were 24 x 36mm a 2.3 ratio, the same as most digital cameras. The enlarged negative image was 8x12 inches but only part of it could be put on 8x10 paper, 2 inches was cropped off. Some people used 8x12 photo paper to get the entire image.

James G. Dainis