EOS Film Body with L Lenses

jerry_plemons1

<p>Beware that some third party lenses (eg Sigma,Tamron etc) designed for APS-C bodies such as the 10D, 20D etc will also physically fit on a full-frame body (film or digital) but will probably vignette due to the reduced image circle size.</p>

<p>Cheers, Bob</p>

<p>Thanks, guys. Your comments are exactly what I was hoping for. I've been shooting film with a Leica IIIf RDST and while it is fun to work with vintage equipment, it is a challenge to use for photographing our fast-moving grandson. I enjoy the craft of working with film, so one of the EOS bodies you mentioned will really go a long way towards capturing some neat images. Thanks again for your help.<br>

Jerry</p>

<p>Jerry, DO NOT get the Eos3, or 1v or 1n etc. After using these film bodies, you will realize how much the 10d viewfinder leaves to be desired. I imagine the 20d is similar, but haven't used. I'm being sarcastic</p>

<p>if you do get the 3 or 1v etc make sure you read the manual about the custom focusing options, esp. for moving subjects. I'm sold on the AF with thumb method/servo, for my film bodies that will do it, and also 1d2 and 5d (with respect to your comment about fast moving kids). You can download the full usermanuals for the 3 and 1v from canon site, at least last time i looked. You gotta be careful "going backwards" though....I liked my 1vhs so much I bought a used pbe2 drive for the 3 so I could use it in vertical orientation - I always thought that was hocus pocuS marketing until i started using it.<br>

good luck Tom</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If so, any recommendations for an inexpensive EOS AE & AF body?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Get the EOS-3. This is an awesomely excellent camera body, film or digital. </p>

<p>One key feature is the 45 point, eye controlled focus. With ECF enabled, the camera focuses where you look. The exposure system is also slaved in by default. All in all, the system is pretty close to telepathic.</p>

<p>I do mostly unposed environmental portraiture. When the subjects are kids, things are even more dynamic and stay that way.</p>

<p>The EOS-3 is set to servo AF with ECF enabled. With one fluid motion: bring the camera up to the desired composition, look at where to place focus (say the subject's closest eye) then shoot. Focus will be spot on most of the time, even when lens wide open for shallow DOF.</p>

<p>Thanks, all. I found a Canon EOS 3 on one of the "lists" and have purchased it. Anxiously awaiting its arrival to try out some of these neat features. If I ever get rich and famous, well at least rich, I plan on getting a 7D to replace my 10D and 20D. I like both digital and film. I just hope film is around long enough to really enjoy the EOS 3. My primary film is Tri-X with D76 1:1. My slower speed films include Plus-X and FP4 Plus. I have tried HP5+, Delta 400, and the T-Max emulsions, but prefer the look and feel of Tri-X. I've been using it since the early 1960's.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

the EOS 3 is a good buy. if ur using a canon 1.4ex teleconverter with a f5.6 lens, this body still gives you autofocus on central focussing point (essentially autofocus with f8 aperture lens). In film bodies, the only other canon body that does this is Eos 1v. I use the EOS 3 with 1.4 ex converter and 400mm f5.6 combo. the results are nice. In digital world, with canon full frame, you would need Elan 1D</p>

<p>I was able to get a good EOS 3 body. It came with a power boost attachment that uses 8 AA batteries. It did not have the standard (GR-E1 or GR-E2) grip. I have looked everywhere I know to look to find and purchase one, but no luck.<br>

Can someone direct me to a source where I can buy a GR-E1 or GR-E2?<br>

Thanks in advance for your assistance.<br>

Jerry</p>

• 7 months later...