One photo, one day, what price?

<p>Hi guys. I've been asked to take a shot of an office block for a large multi-national company and I'm not sure what to charge. The job is around half an hour from my home and all I need to do is take one shot of the building, edit and print a 5x7 colour, then drop it back to them. A very easy job but may take up to 4 hours including travel there and back. I've only just started my own photography business and I mainly shoot weddings, so I'm not too sure how to work this out. I live in Ireland so it's all in Euros. Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.<br>

Thanks for your time.<br>

Gareth.</p>

<p>What will this Multi Nation Company do with the image? I hate the use of an hourly rate or day rate, those may work for Wedding Photographers but Commercial Photographers use terms like Creative fee, licensing and usage. Please tell us more about the job and perhaps someone will be able to respond with an educated answer.</p>

<p>What I normally do with a new client is actually discuss the job with them and what they expect to pay - often I'm very surprised because their idea of a 'reasonable' fee eclipses mine, and had I set the fee I'd have lost out big time.</p>

<p>You CAN discuss this with them, its a perfectly acceptable, reasonable and professional thing to do.</p>

<p>Robert:<br /> <br /> What is wrong with charging as much as the market can bear? In your job, is it wrong for you to want the highest salary you can get from your employer?<br /> <br /> I routinely offer upstarts and small publishers lower fees and this is made possible by the fact that I can charge big, national publishers slightly more because they have the money to afford it.</p>

<p>Mikael, firstly, I am self employed and do not work for salary. Secondly, when I quote for an assignment, I offer rates based upon my abilities and professional standards.</p>

<p>I do <strong>NOT</strong> pull prices out of the air just because I think my client may have more money than the last one. That is immoral, and bad, bad business.</p>

<p>If you go to a fast food restaurant, you don't get a $ 90.00 Happy burger, just because the manager thinks you looks wealthy....</p>

<p>My price differences are based upon the needs of the job, not my clients wallet. If the President wants a family portrait, he pays exactly the same as you would. And that is as it should be....Robert</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Wow, Mikael. You are the exact reason why morality has gone down the toilet and the 50cent gallon of gasoline is now the $5 gallon of gasoline. I really hope I never have to do business with you. I charge the client what my services are worth in a FAIR market.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Hi guys. Seems like a little debate started there eh? I'd have to say Mikael, while I respect your opinion, I do agree with the morality issue raised!<br>

Thanks very much for all your help guys. <br>

I charged a half-day's rate based entirely on the hours of work I carried out. Tony, I must research the points you mentioned but that sounds like the way forward alright.</p>

<p>Thanks again,<br>

Gareth.</p>