Camera quality difference, and Lens query

carl_crosby3

While there are a few Seagull enthusiasts, I would sooner buy an Autocord or Yashica. Don't forget to factor in the cost of a CLA when buying a vintage camera.

Also, take a look at one of the other Yashica models with the Yashinon lens. The 124g can sometimes be undeservedly pricey. If you can find a Yashica D, 124 (not g), or one of the many Y-mats, and it has the Yashinon, you'll do just fine and save a bundle. Which you could then apply towards a CLA.

And I wouldn't be overly anxious to get a model with a built-in light meter. They take the now-unavailable mercury batteries (although workarounds do exist), and the light meters are not that spectacular anyway. You'd do better with even the cheapest, modern, handheld light meter.

Just make sure that the shooting lens is completely clear of haze, fungus, etc. If you are buying on the web, make sure you send explicit instructions to the seller on how to do this (open the back of the camera, set shutter to b, open the aperure all the way, cock shutter and then depress shutter, holding open shutter while looking though the lens at a light source, looking from inside and from outside the camera).

Carl, Rolleicords with Schneider Xenar lens or older Rolleiflexes with Tessar/Xenar are sometimes cheaper than Mats or Autocords. I don't know much about the Autocord, but my Rolleicord Va is a more solid camera then my Mat 124G I bought years ago and sold again. If the 'cord needs service, no problem. There are also nice accesories available like Rolleikin for 35mm Film or a 645-kit. The lens quality is probably the same with Rolleicords, Mats and Autocords.

I have owned and used almost all the TLRs listed, except Seagull. I agree that a mint-ish Rolleicord can be a good deal. I like the way my Minolta Autocord works in my hands, and I think the lens is somewhat better, but the Schneider-Xenar on the Rollei is fine. I still use both and find it difficult to tell the differences on film.

I gave my Yashica to a relative . . . a good camera, but I prefer the Autocord vs. the YashicaMat.

Seagull, eh? [fx: gnashing of teeth] I too was tempted by a Seagull - unfortunately my experience was less than happy. I had a friend bring me one back from China, and didn't even get a full roll of film through it before the transport mechanism expired with a twanging noise. The Seagull was something of an experiment, as I had a light leak problem with my an old Rolleicord V. So, I ripped the light seal out of the Seagull, fixed the Rolleicord and it's a delight to use in comparison with that Seagull piece of... oh well, best to put it down to experience. :o| The Rolleicord's lens is excellent, the transport is smooth and the shutter reasonably accurate; my only complaint is the slightly dim viewfinder image, but outdoors it's fine. Cheap too! I wonder if the Seagull screen will fit the 'Cord? Hmm, worth a try. So yes, you *can* afford a Rollei. A RolleiCORD...