What defines Fine Art?

<p>Its what you hang on the wall and look at, as distinct from using for advertising, technical records, sentimental value etc.</p>

<p>There are lots of other definitions - in some cases it comes down to what the owner of a "Fine Art" gallery is willing to deal in - which sometimes excludes photography completely, or indeed anything since the 16th century sometimes!</p>

<p>And of course an image can gave a different function for different people, and may be appreciated as art long after its practical purpose has expired, and likewise a famous piece of fine art may well fetch up in an advertising campaign.</p>

<p>However, from many discussions, I think my first sentence is as good as it gets for a brief answer.</p>

<p>The Online Photographer posted a series of blogs (along with many, many comments) on this topic, ending on 11 Feb (two or three earlier discussion were posted as well).</p>

<p>http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html/page/2/</p>

<p>Good News: There are many answers to your question.</p>

<p>Bad News: Too many people think theirs is the only true answer.</p>

<p>Cheers! Jay</p>

<p>It seems to have been invented in the early 19thC, in order to to distinguish between purely aesthetic or non-useful art practices from the crafts or applied arts, including decorative arts or design. Originally applied to painting and sculpture, but some photography, dance and writing have since been included.</p>

<p>Hanging a nicely framed poster of the Mona Lisa on your wall would hardly be considered Fine Art. Fine Art, regardless of form and content (Claude Monet to Frank Stella), is created by a process that includes and suggests something handmade (or hand-finished) and one-of-a-kind. Paintings not posters / sculpture not injection molded / handmade prints not inkjets & machine duplicated outputs / woodblock prints not lightjet. For instance, I don't see how a 'limited edition" poster, inkjet, giclee or lightjet of the Last Supper would ever be considered Fine Art.</p>

<p>I once asked a curator of a museum what this term means, and he couldn't answer. It's a vague term that is loosely applied and means different things to different people. Personally, I find that, in very general terms, "fine art" tends to be those photographs that are 1) more abstract or 2) more simple, to the point of causing me to ask "Why on earth did someone take that photograph?"</p>

<p>Regarding PN categories at least, I place in the Fine Art category photos that don't fit into the other categories. I sense that's often what others do as well. For instance, I've taken several pictures of statues and even in museums. These don't seem to fit anywhere else so I put them in Fine Art. I've also taken some pictures of people on location that weren't quite portraits and weren't really street or fashion, so they went into Fine Art.</p>
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>I have a bit of trouble about all this talk about money or gallery percentages. 40 or 50% of $250 or even of $500 doesn't make anybody rich.</p>

<p>Many seem to ignore the definition that fine art (like "Beaux Arts" in French) simply describes "purely aesthetic or non-useful art practices". If your objective is marriages, photojournalism, art as decoration, magazine covers, advertising or a variety of commercial pursuits of the artist or photographer, we are surely talking different categories.</p>

<p>Judging by the photos in B&W Magazine, fine art photography is one of the following:<br>

1. Long-exposure photos of water that everyone in the world is doing now.<br>

2. Photos of cracks in the pavement.<br>

3. Blurry nudes<br>

4. Derelict buildings or that ghost town everyone photographs in CA (Bodie?)<br>

5. Some combination of #3 sprawled in #4.<br>

6. Any photo done on large-format and printed in a darkroom, no matter how tedious or vapid.<br>

6. Disturbing photos of evil-looking dolls.</p>