Pairing CPL with RVP 50?

<p>What's CPL? Circular Polarizer? I'm assuming RVP is Velvia? I have gotten some over-saturated results from a circular polarizer and Velvia but not that often. Sometimes the colors are so oversaturated I have trouble scanning. The two occasions I've seen are the red rocks of Garden of the Gods being just too saturated and a blue sky being just almost dark black blue. So I think it can happen but it's not that common. You can see when you use the polarizer if the effect seems extreme. If it does, maybe that is the time to shoot one without the polarizer too or back the polarizing effect off a bit.</p>

<p>I find that scanning film is the contrast. Not necessarily with the CPL filter. If a scene is contrasty then you will have issues scanning esp on the flatbeds that I have experienced. If you add a CPL filter, then it adds to it. </p>

<p>If the scene is lit well, just after sunrise ... a warm tone instead of a very contrasty then that scans pretty well.....</p>

<p>In terms of oversaturation, personal choice really, shoot a few frames with and without and see for yourself. Look at the film itself ... not with scanner.</p>

<p>Yes it could. Depending on both the conditions and the subject in combination. Don't keep the polariser on the lens- put it on for a specific shot where the effect looks good, then take it off again. Also remember that the degree of polarisation is affected by rotating the ring on the filter. There is more to a polariser than "max" all the time. Look at the effect through the lens and adjust till you feel its right, bearing in mind that the effect on the film is likely to be a bit stronger than you see through the lens.</p>

<p>Oh, and cut down on thhe TLAs</p>

<p>The classic thing you have to watch out for with the polarizer and Velvia is excessive darkening of blue skies. As someone already suggested it can render a blue sky almost black on the film, which is a noticeably unnatural look. I tend not to use the polarizer at all for darkening skies when using Velvia. </p>

<p>Aside from that effect, the polarizer is still a great tool to have for reducing glare on water and other surfaces, regardless of which film you use. I particularly like it for removing the shine from leaves, which is especially useful with a very narrow range film like Velvia. I don't think the effect is really oversaturating when used in that way. It is more that you are eliminating the "hot" parts of the scene so that you can capture a more useful range of tones. </p>

<p>So definitely bring it with you. As the previous poster was saying, it doesn't have to be "all or nothing". Use it in moderation, rotating just enough to get the effect you want but no more, and you should be fine.</p>