Shelf life of Kodak HIE refrigerated and frozen

carbon_dragon

<p>Anyone know how long one can expect Kodak HIE to last a) refrigerated and b)frozen? I just did an inventory of my freezer and realized that I have a fair number of rolls of HIE left and I would like to make sure I get to them before they go bad, if they go bad. Is there any kind of compensation I should make to exposure after so many years? I've got a really old roll of Konica 750 too. Guess I should shoot that too. Thanks.</p>

<p>p.s. I bought this stuff when it was being discontinued, but it seems to be selling for moderately crazy prices on eBay which bothers me a little because now shooting it seems more extravagant.</p>

<p>Hi David,</p>

<p>In my experience, frozen, totally arrests the aging process. As a former Medical and Scientific photographer, Kodak didn't give enough specific information on refrigerated use, there was too much question as to temperature and humidity, etc. Since 1954, I've been using HIE and other IR materials frozen with no problem, sometimes for long periods of time.</p>

<p>Lynn </p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>I hope it keeps for ever. I have 2-400 foot rolls, maybe 200 sheets of 4x5 and 25-30 rolls of film in the freezer. Developed two rolls recently, one was great and the other was fogged. Don't know what happened. Too many trips on the plane, light leak when I unrolled it or rolled it??? I'm so out of touch. Kodak doesn't make IR any more? I used to buy film and stuff through B&H. Checked their page and they sell stuff I'm not familiar with.<br>

Thought this summer would be a great time to become familiar with IR again. Recently got to rebuild/establish my dark room, renovation. Been down for a couple of years it seems.<br>

It's nice to be back in the black and white. Can't wait for summer IR.</p>