Bought a used D700 and 24-70 that needs repair. . . Thoughts?

lifeson

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>If I can chime in, that looks like a nasty fall from some height. I've known of a friend who dropped his D700 and 80-200/2.8 from about 3 feet with damage to the hot shoe and just the UV filter. Everything else worked fine after replacement of the hot shoe. But then again, the lens and the body of the camera did not show any dent or scratch from that height. So if there is this significant fall from a much greater height to show itself as so, the cost of repair and acquisition relative to the price of a new set maybe much more than what headache you may encounter later on when the electronics start blinking in your camera.</p>

<p>I saw that camera on ebay, I was tempted to bid on it, but I had second thoughts after looking at the damage. Although the lens look ok, I couldn't help wonder if there was a single incident that put that camera in that condition. It looked like it might have been dropped from a moving vehicle. It was a great price, but you may want to check if there is any hidden damage. I would have a camera shop check the internal parts and see how much it would cost to repair the lens. If it's not worth the investment, then I would send it back. I know that lens is a very expensive lens, just by itself.</p>

<p>The damage on the bottom of the camera doesn't look too bad. The D700 has quite a rugged body and camera bodies are virtual throw aways as they depreciate so much; a lot like computers. I would certainly try another lens on it though and make sure that everything works okay. If the body checks out okay then really it comes down to the lens and how much it will cost to fix. I would get a firm quote as you want to make sure about that as $300 seems a little on the light side looking at the damage to the lens.</p>

<p>I'd have passed on this combo at $1,500, forget about nearly $3k. Return it no matter what. You'll be able to afford this combo. Maybe not today, but someday relatively soon. A used kit with no damage won't be much more than you paid already. Wait until the D700x (or whatever the next iteration is) is released, and scoop up a pristine D700 from someone who is selling.<br><br>

Seriously, return it.</p>

<p>That setup is in very ugly condition. The price seems very high IMHO. resale will be even lower if you keep it. If some else breaks later because of weaken condition you will be without the piece again. You can get this combo for $4,140 brand new USA from B&H. I don't consider this a very good deal at all.</p>

<p>The apparent cosmetic damage is only a part of the problem. The real damage goes much deeper, and won't necessarily present itself right away. Whatever caused that extensive damage has left microscopic damage throughout the body. Think about a car that's been t-boned by a truck. You can straighten out the chassis and replace a few body panels. But every single element on the entire vehicle is now weakened because of the accident. The kind of damage you are showing on the lens will typically cut it's resale value in HALF. Maybe 2/3 for the camera. I would think a fair price for the combo is around $2300, especially when you consider that you have to perform repairs just to get it to working condition. You got taken.</p>

<p>Consider this: For only $2400 you could have bought a BRAND NEW D700, and still had $450 for a lens. You could have bought a Tamron 28-75mm brand new for $350, and still had $100 left over. Everything would have been new. I would definitely take a Tamron brand new over the Nikon in ROAD-RASH condition, and have a brand new body to match.</p>

<p>There are more than cosmetics at play here. Pro level cameras are sealed against moisture and dust, making them reliable in most any environment. Your camera has lost its inert protection. Dust is your cameras enemy, not to mention you could potentially be allowing light in, perhaps its not visible in normal lighting situations, but what happens in a really bright environment, will light leaks, dust or moisture affect your images? What about the irritating snags as the body catches your shirt, or other incovieniences? Lastly, do you really want to explain to everyone that you didn't drop your camera, you bought it damaged?<br>

Good luck with all that.</p>

<p>If you have return rights, use them immediately.</p>

<p>My D700 with 24-70mm fell out of a camera bag (don't ask), at about five feet, hit the edge of a coffee table, and then a concrete floor with a commercial rug over it. Hit the front edge of the 24--70. Yours obviously had a much more violent impact than mine. Mine looked totally better than what you have. The 24-70 had a protective filter and lens cap which took the brunt. I sent the lens to Nikon, on Long Island, and the total bill for repair (replaced the front element whose lip was slightly bent and fractured) was $305. Even before the repair, the lens still functioned perfectly, focused automatically and manually just fine. Your lens does function internally and it has a very, very rude looking bash on the edge of the front element housing.</p>

<p>My D700 does not have a scratch - nada, and it functions perfectly. Yours on the other hand does have a pretty rough looking impact and scrape mark. It looks like the door does not fit properly any more, and it looks like body panels are separated. Even if the various internal parts, screw mount focus motor, shutter and motor drive, seem to work, what is the status of electrical connections? Worse, what is the alignment of the sensor to the lens mount? What kind of environmental intrusions will be possible now?? It's snowing here, and I'm thinking of going out there with mine. I would not dare with yours.</p>

<p>These are precision instruments. Used is only good if done from a reputable seller, and there a darn few of those on this planet. KEH, or B&H come to mind. Get rid of it and consider it a lesson learned.</p>

<p>One more thing, sorry.</p>

<p>But, that lens is not capable of taking filters. The filter threads are ripped right off a portion of the front element housing. No polarizer shots for that baby, and no holder for grad filters.</p>

<p>My bet is that such ability was something you would want to be doing at some point.</p>

<p>from the looks of it you should return it immediately and pick up a used camera from keh.com<br>

i was thinking about getting a d700 but couldnt fine a good price. so i settle down on a d2x from keh.com for 1079 used plus i had enough money for a 70-200vr 1 .. gene sory to say but the camera looks like hell and u want to do repair work thats crazy .</p>