Kodak announces new 13.8MP monster

nate_ross

<p>The offical PhotoKina <a href="http://www.letsgodigital.nl/webpages/events/PHOTOKINA-2002/news/kodak/Pro14n_uk.html">press release</a> on the new Kodak DCS Pro 14n Digital Camera.

<p>Apparently the camera uses the Nikon lens mount.

<p>Its interesting that we are not seeing any other manufacturers using the <a href="http://www.foveon.com">FOVEON</a> sensor other than Sigma. I wonder if the FOVEON chip is irrelevant already and why!

Unless Foveon can prove it is better than the latest CMOS sensors it is destined to fall by the wayside. They are in an uphill battle with their lower resolution, similar to the battle between Intel and AMD - Megahertz vs. actual processor performance... megahertz appears to be winning out. Same here, Megapixels will probably win out even if Foveon technology is better at lower MP's...

• 11 months later...

My understanding is that Foveon is in a contract with Sigma. This is why the chip is not used in other cameras. They are a [relatively] small company based in Maine. When their contract with Sigma expires in November, you can expect to see some big things happening with this chip.

Also, I am inclined to believe that the lower megapixel Foveon chip will win out, despite the public's fervor for electronics with "bigger numbers" [mp's, mhz, etc]. The reason? This chip is going to be a huge hit with profesionals, assuming the issues it currently has are worked out.

At first, consumers will overlook it in their search for more megapixels. But when everyone realizes that all the pros use this chip, and that the images are substantially better, the consumer-type folks will make the jump.

But I could be wrong. This is all just speculative hearsay. We shall all see in November...