Leica & Kodachrome

<p>Michael,<br>

Great idea that fits with the Leica "attitude." Who cares how much the film costs to make, distribute, purchase or process? It would be just another bright line delineating Leica users from the rest of us, which would appear to be just fine with that demographic. Let's face it, once you've purchased a Leica why should you be forced to put proletariat film into it? You deserve a film that only Leica owners can afford......</p>

<p>BTW, I heard Kodak has quite a stockpile of processing chemicals ready for Dwaynes in anticipation of all those frozen rolls coming out at the last minute so the Dec 2010 deadline might be extended. Anyone else heard this?</p>

<p>I hope Kodak <em>have</em> got some chemicals stashed away. I have 20 to 30 rolls from the 90's that I am working my way though. It's a crime to leave any of this film unshot. European film comes with process paid envelopes, which are still honoured up to end 2010 I understand. I send mine off to Switzerland.<br /> I've already sent my kids to kindergarten and on school trips with Mju II's loaded with some KR200, basically teaching them not to drop cameras in preparation for this summer. I have a couple of R4 bodies, and the plan is to send the kids out this summer with 25 and 35mm R lenses (with protective filters) on R4 bodies, and teach them zone focussing with the remaining 200 speed. I think Kodachrome has a chance of resurfacing in 20 to 30 years. There was a Kodachrome minilab operating in Japan until the special chemicals they needed dried up. In 30 years time, it will be easier, cheaper, and more automated to make and recycle the chemicals needed. The important thing is that the chemical formulas and processing procedures don't get lost, and that a few surviving photographers remember how much fun it is to use Kodachrome!</p>

<p> </p>

<p> how much fun it is to use Kodachrome!<br>

The best part for me was opening the box of newly processed slides and enjoying that aroma!<br>

All films give off a scent, but Kodachrome's is unique. If I was blindfolded and somone had me sniff 25 various films, I couldn't name 24 of them but I would always be able to pick out the Kodachrome . Try it when you next get back that processed roll.<br>

Jay Maisel "sufferred" this strange ability too, I understand.</p>

<p>John;<br>

<br /> Your Kodachrome sent to Switzerland; is then developed by Dwaynes in Kansas; then it goes back to you in Europe.<br>

<br /> It all funnels to Dwaynes; where the plug is to be pulled.<br>

<br /> The chance of Kodachrome restarting later are slim at best since the process is so capital intensive.<br>

<br /> No matter where folks sends their Kodachrome; it all gets sent to Kansas at Dwaynes; right in the heart of Tornado county USA. If an F5 twister hits in a week there will be no more Kodachrome color processing.</p>

<p>It is like if one pulled up all the train tracks in Europe; then one wants trains to re appear; there is a huge cost involved.</p>

<p>Like Kodak (who has repeated the mantra over and over, even though they still sell some film), Leica is no longer a film camera company, it's a digital camera company. The last film M was the M7, the first digital the M8. That's about as clear a line in the sand as you can draw. So why would a digital camera company have the least interest in spending money to manufacture film? There many be a lot of us dinosaurs out here who still worship film cameras (I love 'em to). But Leica clearly isn't among us anymore.</p>

<p>As far as I am concerned, Kodachrome entered a downward spiral in the UK when processing within the country was discontinued and films had to be sent to Switzerland. This meant that the extra time required for Kodachrome processing versus E6 was no longer merely a nuisance but became completely unacceptable for professionals. Unless someone acquiring rights to Kodachrome set up at least 6 or 8 labs around the globe (which would virtually guarantee the whole idea would never make money), the film would not sell in any appreciable quantities.</p>

<p>David;<br /> <br /> Kodak could give away the rights to Kodachrome for free and a lab would still loose money.<br /> <br /> The last remaining lab ie Dwaynes has to pull the K14 plug at the end of the year for a reason; ie not enough sales.<br /> <br /> K14 is a very involved very capital expensive process.<br /> <br /> As Photographers reduced shooting Kodachrome ; K14 labs *had* to close; they had to contract into less numbers of K14 labs to stay afloat.<br /> <br /> Now that there is only one K14 lab left in the world; the year has come to close it too; there is not enough sales volume to pay of the expense of the K14 line.<br /> <br /> Selling the *rights* to K14 would be like selling the rights to build a steam engine train locomotive.<br>

<br /> Railroads abandoned steam engines; photographers abandoned Kodachrome.<br>

Lack of sales due to photographers not using enough killed Kodachrome.</p>