Craigslist and the wedding photography industry?

brian_cesario

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>If I want to earn more than $500.00 for a wedding then I have to show the B&G why I am worth more. <br>

<br>

People do not buy primarily for practical considerations but rather for emotional reasons. Let's face it. If we really look at the wedding portfolios that are available online they look pretty much the same. (To the customer.) To our (hopefully) trained eye there are subtle differences but often they are so subtle that the B&G won't see them. They don't critique an individual photo but rather a general impression. On the other hand if you look at the advertising for women’s clothing in, say, Cosmo you see a search for a unique look. But a unique look within certain parameters. One of those parameters is that the models are all drop-dead gorgeous. Look at the portfolios of the best (and most expensive) wedding photographers around and they most often look like the Cosmo models and not the typical wedding models. Why? Perhaps because, like Cosmo, we sell a dream. The bride sees herself in the pictures we show her. She is going to be slim, have a flawless complexion and be surrounded by the beautiful people. That is the dream. Does your web site build that dream? <br>

<br>

I have often wondered why wedding photographers try to find the best of the actual weddings they have shot without sprinkling in a goodly number of shots carefully crafted using professional models and locations. After all. We are supposed to be the creative ones.<br>

<br>

I have several friends who do not use an online portfolio other than an introduction page or two. They design their web site to move the B&G to call and schedule an appointment. That is all. <br>

<br>

I am of the school of thought that I want to present my pictures not leave the couple to find them. If you are not getting bookings ask yourself this. How many couples have I met with in person? How many formal presentations have I made? You can’t rely on your web site to sell. Nor can you sell on the phone. The purpose of a telephone call is to get an appointment. If you are selling on the phone and sending the couple to your web site you are doing it all wrong, <br>

<br>

BTW. I am against prices on the internet. I prefer to tell them you have packages designed especially for them and that fit all budgets. And I prefer to say all weddings are treated with the same pride and professionalism that leads someone to seek a professional wedding photographer.</p>

<p>Lee,</p>

<p>I understand wanting to put real models in your portfolio and show a true dream wedding, but if they ask if it's a "real wedding" or staged shoot, I'm going to tell the truth. Besides, if it's a shot that can't be replicated (at least in large part) on their wedding day, I feel like you're misrepresenting your abilities, and opening yourself up to trouble. </p>

<p>You do make a good point, though. Since I started shooting more attractive brides, I attract more people. I haven't had to do a fake bridal shoot, but I have chosen very pretty friends and I have done fake engagement shoots. Those shoots have sold packages, so don't underestimate the value of fake. That said, be honest when people ask.</p>

<p>The other great thing, is that beautiful people not only sell packages, they sell more beautiful people. If your brides don't look better than the bride who is considering purchasing your service, she may go for a lesser photographer who has a more attractive girl in her portfolio. People don't always love my photos that are technically the best, they love my photos that have the prettiest girls in them. </p>

<p>I post prices because I don't have a package designed to fit all budgets. If you can't afford a certain baseline amount, I don't want to bother meeting with you. I'm far too busy to be giving sales pitches to lukewarm brides all day. People who have an out-of-home studio may have an easier time meeting clients--if their clients have time to come down to the studio and see them. My brides are typically younger and really appreciate my transparancy in pricing. </p>

<p>I don't know what the point about "all weddings are treated with the same pride and professionalism" is about, but I don't think that ANY smart professional treats their low-price package clients less professionally, they just provide less in terms of time at the service, prints, albums or other goodies. </p>