Go from Vista 64bit to VIsta 32bit

<p>I loaded Canon untilty on my somewhat new laptop (loaded with 64bit version of Vista) with the idea of shooting tethered with my 5D. To my complete dismay, canon does not offer a driver for the 5D and several other cameras compatible with a 64bit windows platform.</p>

<p>I don't need 64bit and did not really know this computer was 64bit until this came up. I have read that the license will cover both 32bit and 64bit versions. I would like to change mine but not sure where to start. Anyone else been down this road.</p>

<p>And for the love of all that is good...please no "oh just buy a MAC" comments. I had a 17" MacBook Pro that someone else like more than me. I got this DELL for 1/3 the price and it does all that I need...well almost :o/ Besides, as far as I am concerned, this is a Canon issue, not a Windows issue.</p>

<p>Jason</p>

<p>Have you looked into a different software program to edit your images? Adobe has Photoshop Elements (under $125) that should allow you to tinker with 5D images (your computer using 64 vs 32 bits does not really care what program edits your images....)</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>Have you looked into a different software program to edit your images? Adobe has Photoshop Elements (under $125) that should allow you to tinker with 5D images (your computer using 64 vs 32 bits does not really care what program edits your images....)</em><br>

I don't think Photoshop Elements are going to help with tethered shooting, which was the point of Jason's question. It's really shame that Canon does not offer 64-bit driver. Given that 64-bit Windows 7 installs are overtaking 32-bit ones, Canon should wake up and do the right thing.</p>

<p>Editing the images are not the issue. I use Photoshop CS and Lightroom. As Borek has hit on, its the camera driver that is the issue and there seems to be no direct fix. Computer simply will not install the camera when it is connected. "no drivers found for your device"</p>

<p>Also, canon utility and all other canon software will load and run just fine. You can set the camera to "PTP Print" and it will connect fine and you can pull the images off the camera via the USB. I use a card reader for that of course. When you open canon utility and try to start tethered shooting, it will prompt you to change the camera to "PC connect". That is when the driver problem comes into play.</p>

<p>Oh well, I was hoping agaist hope that someone else had already found a better solution.<br>

BTW Berg, I tried to install the driver in compatibilty mode with no luck. I don't think drivers work in compatibility mode...not sure there.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Jason</p>

<p>Thanks Berg. I was actually able to install the driver. I could (thanks to the info you gave) even locate the actual inf. file. However is still will not work as a window pops up at the end saying the file is not compatible on a windows x64 based system. So I was able to extract the file and get them to install by change some of the coding in the master.ini file. There was a code that simple told it what OS it could install on. I changed that and was able to get it to install as you would expect. But the bottom line is, the driver file its self will not function on this machine. </p>

<p>Oh well, I think I am at my limit with this so...there ya go.</p>