Security and safety when walking with camera gear

mart_e

<p>I'm looking at camera bags for my kit - mainly for travel / urban walkaround, but also for taking on longer hikes.</p>

<p>Kit would include a max of D90, 300mm AFS, 12-24DX, 50mm 1.4, SB-600, 105mm Micro. At point of travel - ie on a plane, the bag would contain everything. After that point, only what I would be carrying around daily for particular places.</p>

<p>Many of the bags seem to be badged with obvious camera bag manufacturer logos - and I'm worrying that this really points to the bag containing a lot of kit and making an obvious target - particularly at airports. Also some bags seem to be easily accessed for opening.</p>

<p>Am I worrying uneccessarily, or do any of you block out the logos ? or is it simply a case of making sure it is adequately insured ?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Martin</p>

<p>Anglers carry rectangular bags that don't hold photo gear.<br>

I have one with the interior padding from a Domke in it.<br>

I think it still looks pretty much like a camera bag though, even though its green and has a picture of a fish on it. This does make some sense as I will quite often be near a river or the sea, and at least it doesn't have "Canon" or something in big writing.<br>

But I think without the rod and line, the bucket, and a strong smelling fish perfume, I'm not sure I'm fooling anyone.</p>

<p>Hunters and soldiers have suitable bags to, but usually in a fancy cammo material.</p>

<p>I also have a Domke messenger type bag. Very robust and capacious, will also take the padded interior, I suppose could get stolen because it looks like a laptop bag. However in a city environment it doesn't scream photographer, since so many people now carry messenger or laptop bags. In fact I use it for both laptop and photography, and just as a general purpose bag.<br>

Billingham do something similar in their Hadley range, and Think Tank have the Urban Disguise range.<br>

You can often rip the makers name off, or tape over it. Some do. I think whether you should depends very much on where in which city you're going.</p>

<p>Some people do actually use diaper bags. Strong, waterproof, and not many people want to steal one or look inside. Again though, perhaps it needs the right sort of "fragrance" to lend authenticity!</p>

<p>Most bags are easy to open of course, thats what we usually want. I'm not sure if there's any advantage in locking one down, since a sharp knife will get into it anyway. For that sort of travel security, Pelican cases might be the thing ?</p>

<p>For hiking I don't usually use a bag at all btw, I have pouches on an ordinary leather tool belt.<br>

Then the normal walking or camping stuff goes in a light shoulder bag or a rucksack, dependant on requirements. And the further you go from the city, the less likely you are to experience theft.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I carry my camera in hand. Hanging from hand with strap wrapped around wrist a few time. Spare lens in fanny pack. When walking around. For heavy terrain I put camera over shoulder across chest, so that it doesn't bounce. Trying to disguise it is, IMO, a waste of time. When I'm traveling I take a lot of pictures. So, regardless of how well it's disguised as soon as you take it out to take a shot it's blown.<br>

When I'm at a restaurant I take the camera strap loop it around the arm of the chair and drop camera through loop. It ends up hanging from arm a few inches from ground. A garb and run is going have to rip the arm off of the chair to get the camera.<br>

Used to use a backpack but it's a pain. Now only use it for transport once I get to the hotel I leave it there. At airports the back back is usually in my hand. After 9/11, at least in the US, especially after you've gone through security, airports are about the safest place you can be. Cameras everywhere, security everywhere, everybody watching everybody.<br>

Relax and enjoy your trips. Keeping alert is the best advice. When ever you read a map, tie your shoe, check a brochure etc.. do so with you back against a wall, as these are the moments when thieves strike, almost always from behind.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Stop worrying about appearances. Assuming you will actually have a camera in hand to be used, It's likely anyone could figure out what's in the bag. If you don't have a camera out, what's the point of carrying the bag? At the airport, cameras are carry-on items. Common sense (and security rules) require that you maintain close control of carry-on luggage at all times. For unforseen events, get insurance - it is an inexpensive rider on your home insurance if you are a non-professional, and about $30/thousand otherwise.</p>

<p>As of Monday, February 22, you can carry a concealed weapon in national parks to the extent you are permitted in the state in which the park resides. If that would make you more comfortable when hiking, find out what you need to secure a state permit. Don't bother in Illinois or Wisconsin.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback. My worries are more about when I'm 'in transit' ie, have everything with me, and in the city (UK so London, Belfast etc.) rather than whilst out and about taking photos (with less kit).</p>

<p>Then again - I'm a born worrier.</p>

<p>As for concealed weapons - in Belfast, that may prove to be a slight problem :)</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

Martin</p>

<p>Martin,</p>

<p>Get a student knapsack. I recently hauled all my gear to REI, picked out a few candidates,

loaded them up — and picked the one I originally almost left behind because I didn’t

think it would cut the mustard.</p>

<p>If you’re really paranoid, drag the knapsack through the mud and beat it against the rocks. Without any gear in it, of course. It’s serious overkill at that point, but if it’ll let you sleep better at night….</p>

<p>Security also has a lot to do with attitude. Don’t act like you’re carrying

something precious whose safety you fear for. And don’t fear for it. If somebody wants to

steal it, hand it over without a second thought.</p>

<p>Insurance is good for many, but don’t be afraid to self-insure if you can afford to do so

— the financial odds greatly favor those who do.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>There is a gizmo called Pacsafe available at Amazon.com. It's a netlike device made of cable with a length of cable that can be looped around immobile objects (or perhaps combat-ready body parts) and locked. Designed for keeping kit on hiking trails and ski trails for months at a time. Check it out.</p>

<p>I use a camera bag or a regular daypack or a gas mask pouch (or two on a duty belt). Most people don't carry used diapers around any longer or farther than they have to. So if you don't look to be frazzled, tired, and encumbered by a small nearby child, as opposed to a camera, then I doubt diaper bags are the answer.</p>

<p>If you are shooting you pretty obviously have a camera in your hand, so you are a target if someone wants to steal it. Additionally, when you are shooting you are focused on what you are doing and not the enviornment around you beyond what is in your viewfinder. If you are worried, I'd say have a friend with you, stick to safe areas, or both. Even with precautions, you can still have trouble. <br>

You pays your money, you takes your chance.</p>

<p>Although shooting with a camera is going to make you visible, you don't need to have it draped around your neck like some sort of jewellry. Keep it in your bag until you are ready to start shooting. Secondly, make yourself as invisible as you can. If in unusual places I usually dress like the rest of the people in the neighbourhood I visit (in Portugal that usually meant black trousers and a white or pale shirt and no white running shoes) and more importantly place my cameras in a bag which can then be put into a similar size old school or army sack, sometimes a lunch or beer cooler bag. If I have someone else travelling with me I ease up a bit on this blending in, but it is always a good idea to appear like one of the locals if you want peace and avoid attracting attention.</p>

<p>Once the blending is arranged I don't worry unduly about safety. It always pay to be confident in one's actions, walking, talking or whatever, and to ask first if you are photographing strangers in an unknown place. If you get an aggresive response or regard, there are always lots of other opportunities elsewhere.</p>

<p>I see a number of these threads and some people that are plainly so bothered by the prospect of having their camera stolen that its plainly on their mind every second they're out, which would ruin the entire thing for me. I've heard tales of people who will not let any item of their photographic kit out of their sight to the extent that if they go for breakfast in their hotel, the photo gear all goes too; it goes out for dinner and it gets dragged around every step of every day, whether needed or not. That mindset would make me give up travelling to photograph.</p>

<p>What I don't see are lots of people coming onto these threads with stories about how they were actually mugged for their camera, or that their prized 70-200f2.8L was surreptitiously slid out of their bag in Chicago or Capetown or wherever. I'm not saying it doesn't happen ever, but I do wonder whether photographers generally overstate the attractiveness of their equipment to thieves. Just because its your pride & joy doesn't make it anyone else's. Maybe I think that thieves might rather have cash, or cards, or laptops, or iphones, or a nice pink compact. </p>

<p>For me, I have insurance and I walk around cities with bags that allow me rapid access as I walk. I don't use backpacks because they don't fit with that, because I think they're antisocial in stores, on public transport etc but also because I've seen police reports to the effect that backpack type bags are easier for thieves in crowds and that makes sense to me. I don't feel like a victim and i try not to act like one. I might even think that I want my bag to look like a camera because then it doesn't look like a collection of more generally desirable consumer electronics. I certainly don't want to use a bag that doesn't fulfil the objectives of physical protection and easy access just because it doesn't look like a camera. </p>

<p>Insure your stuff.</p>

<p>Research actual facts about the crime rates and risk management. Stop obsessing over things that don't actually happen very often at all, and start to take precautions to mitigate those that actually do. </p>

<p>Stop living a life of fear so you can enjoy yourself.</p>

<p>I have a KATA camera back pack. The label is only 1" square and not very noticable (mostly black with small red leters that say KATA. The reset of the bag is just black. The only thing that might give it away is its shape (it rectangular). Most daypacks or backpacks are more rounded. If you look arond you can find bags that most people wouldn't recognize as camera bags.</p>

<p>Some of my biggest regrets ( at least with photography ) is being talked out of taking my camera to places that where "unsafe" </p>

<p>when it comes to bags I really like thinktank bags. I use the Urban disguise 20 for times I want to travel with just a camera and a few primes or a small zoom which is all I would probably take if safety was an issue. </p>

<p>I carry all my gear wherever I go and use Lowepro 350 fastpack. I also insured all my gear for about 20 bucks a year for $7K.<br>

I spent 2 days and 2 night walking in NYC and in Chicago. I even shot a wedding in a not so good neighberhood in Chicago's south side. Never had problems but like someone said already do not act like you are affraid of loosing your stuff. People pick up on this and will approach you. I have a firend of mine that acts like he's a big shot and walks like a hip hop dude, he gets into trouble all the time. Insure your grear if possible and enjoy shooting.<br>

Regards</p>

<p>Look for something comfortable that will fit your gear.<br>

Don't walk in an unreasonably bad part of town between the hours of 10pm and 5am. When actively traveling, don't walk away from your bag.<br>

You've now avoided 99% of the ways you are likely to part with your equipment not of your own choosing.<br>

I personally use a Lowepro Nova 2 AW, most similar to the Nova 170 I believe, and it works great. For casual day trips it is comfortable enough for my gear. For multiday trips I tend to toss it in a backpack that has just enough room for the bag, a light jacket, a book/map and a few snacks/lunch. I just take the Nova bag out and throw it over my shoulder when I think I might be taking pictures and stick it back in when just walking between places. At worst its maybe 30 seconds to get my camera out of both bags or to get my Nova 2 out and over my shoulder for taking pictures. At worst it means a few ugly looks from my fairer half for "making her wait".<br>

This setup has worked for me visiting at least half a dozen big cities, hiking, etc. When traveling camera really light I just slip what I need in a Lowepro Nova Mini AW. For backpacking this, plus a 24/2.8, 50/1.8 and 135/3.5 generally covers things pretty well (though I'd rather a 100/2.8, but I don't have one) and can be attached to the side of my pack with a strap and be in easy reach without having to take my hiking pack off to get at it.</p>

<p>Your best protection is to be a little street wise. Be aware of your surroundings. Know where not to go. Never leave the bag unattended. Get your stuff insured. When you travel, bring something to back-up your days shooting so if something happens to your gear you don't lose the pictures.</p>

<p>If you do get mugged, don't be a hero. Give him what he wants and shut your mouth.</p>