How much camera should I buy?

richard_spurgeon

<p>I'm a sort of a beginner looking to buy a camera and lens; what about this combination? Nikon D300s with Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm zoom VR image stabilization f/4.5-5.6G AF-s IF-ED. Is this too much technology for a beginner? Are there any drawbacks to this combination? Would you suggest a different lens with this camera or vice versa? I'm renewing my interest in photography. I used to do it for a hobby back in the 60s and 70s. Can photos from this camera be downloaded into Apple's Aperture? Can video be downloaded into Apple's iMovie 9? I appreciate any recommendations or knowledge you can share with me.</p>

<p><strong>Richard asked: "</strong> what about this combination? Nikon D300s with Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm zoom VR image stabilization f/4.5-5.6G AF-s IF-ED.</p>

<p> It lacks wide-through normal focal lengths, where the great majority of photographs are made. Add the kit lens, 18-55 VR, and you have a lot more capabilities.</p>

<p>"Is this too much technology for a beginner?"</p>

<p> No.</p>

<p>"Are there any drawbacks to this combination? Would you suggest a different lens with this camera or vice versa?"</p>

<p>See above. I'd also add one fast lens, making it a 3-lens kit. The sigma 30/1.4 or Nikkor 35/1.8 will do.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'll agree with Luis, but will ask that you mention what sort of shooting you think is calling to you. Sports? Critters? Landscapes? People (and if so, in what sort of setting)? If you're just getting into things, your creative interests will probably wander around a bit, but I've got to assume that your interest in that longer lens, for example, is based on something in particular.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=5941867"><em>Richard Spurgeon</em></a><em> </em><a href="../member-status-icons"></a><em>, Feb 19, 2010; 06:30 a.m.</em><br>

<em>I'm a sort of a beginner looking to buy a camera and lens; what about this combination? Nikon D300s with Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm zoom VR image stabilization f/4.5-5.6G AF-s IF-ED. Is this too much technology for a beginner?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Are there any drawbacks to this combination? </em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes. This is a waste of money on two fronts.<br>

1. If you're not going to shoot video, you're paying for technology that you will never use.<br>

2. If you ARE going to shoot video, buy yourself a dedicated video camera, one that's designed from jumpstreet to be a video camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em></em><br>

<em>I'm renewing my interest in photography. I used to do it for a hobby back in the 60s and 70s. </em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Invest in classes to get yourself up to speed. <br>

Forget about all this high tech gimmicky gear.<br>

Take some classes and get yourself a good basic kit that will get you through school.<br>

If you've got talent, this combination will bring it out and in a year you'll be doing some really impressive work.<br>

If you don't have the talent, no amount of gear will help you.</p>

<p>Bill P.</p>

<p>You said you are renewing your interest in photography. So obviously you're not a beginner, just maybe new to digital. The new cameras work just the same as the old ones with respect to aperture, shutter, ISO, etc, but with a few more bells and whistles to help you get the most out of your photos. If you already know the basics of photography, then there is no learning curve for you to get oriented with the camera mechanics, you can jump right into learning how to use all the extras to their potential. So to answer the question, no, I don't think its too advanced. But I would get wider lenses. Remeber, the digital sensor of that camera is smaller than a piece of 35mm film so lenses won't take in as much of the image projection from the lens, causing lenses to appear longer than they are. There is a 1.5x crop factor with that camera. So multiply the focal length you are using by 1.5 to get the focal length it would look like on 35mm. For example a 50mm lens on the D300s would act like a 75mm lens on a film camera. (50 x 1.5 = 75)</p>

<p>Fear not, Richard. No matter if it's a 1948 Leica or a Nikon D300s, all unfamiliar cameras seem intimidating at first. That passes with practice. No matter if you buy new or just pick up an older film SLR, the important think is get something that works well and feels good to you. Get a couple of basic lenses just till you get your photo legs back. Later, you can divine better what other gear you may want or need. Good photography has very little to do with cameras, the important thing is to get out there shooting and enjoying yourself.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was concerned about the closeup work with the 70-300mm lens. I'll definitely look into a lense for the closeup and median ranges.</p>

<p>I plan to take shots of people and land/cityscapes. Close work on flowers, plants and other natural objects. The photographs of people that I'm planning now will be used as stills in iMovies. I'm working on a series of character studies with young people talking about their lives and their dreams for the future, especially their dreams. I can insert the stills into the movie and run the sound track of my informants talking about people, places etc. behind the stills. I've done a little filming, but mostly I'm in the planning stage with a couple of young people who are going to participate.</p>

<p>I'm using a Canon GL2 for the filming. I have a good place at home with good lighting and acoustics for doing that work. I used to just rush into everything; this time I'm planning and actually doing story boards. I still need to develop my skills with the technology; as I said, I'm a beginner.</p>

<p>Eventually, I would like to exhibit my photographs. I'm thinking about a series on street children, not teenagers, in Mexico. They are mostly indigenous kids whose families have been displaced by changes in agriculture and commerce brought on by NAFTA; but it isn't about NAFTA.</p>

<p>Anyway, thanks a lot for the ideas and information. I am grateful for the help you've given me.<br>

Richard</p>

<p>The D300s is a very good camera and the 70-300 VR is a very good tele zoom. As has been mentioned, you'll need a wide to normal or wide to short tele zoom. Four that I would recommend you choose from are the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, or Nikon 16-85 VR. Depending on your finances, I would consider a D90 instead of the D300s and put the savings into lenses.</p>