ring flash for canon 5d mark II

howard b. schwartz

<p>I agree the Alien Bee ABR800 is about the best available for the money although I tried it a didn't really like it much. I found it to be bulky and seemed fragile. I also could see or communicate with the model as the ring would block this view while looking through the viewfinder. If you want the ringflash look I would seriously consider a beauty dish which is the next best thing but a lot more flexiable in its use. IMOP :-)</p>

<p>If you can afford it, the Profoto is pretty much the 'industry standard' for fashion photographers. I believe there are/were two models: one for the Acute series packs and one for the Pro packs. I was told they are pretty much identical, except for the price (this was 10 years ago). The Acute was able to be adapted for use with Pro packs, which is what i did. The newer models may be different. I think they may have added modeling lights in the revised versions....</p>

<p>I think there's a ring available for the Hensel Porty system, if you need battery(pack) powered location shooting. </p>

<p>Both the Hensel and Profotos are available for rental at any pro rental house.</p>

<p>If you're just going to be 'experimenting,' the Alien Bees is certainly a more cost-effective solution. </p>

<p>Howard, I was just about to ask this same question. I have just started checking into these ring flashes. I'd like one for macro work though. I saw a Bower brand and also a Phoenix brand and they both looked identical in what they do. They are both dedicated TTL and ETTL-II. One is theBower SFDRL14C TTL Macro Ringlight. They are right at $100 with several ring adapters on ebay. Anyone out there know anything about these two ring light brands? They any good?</p>

<p>Ann<br /> </p>