Will my HPRC 2550 WF roller hard case be allowed as carry on?.

<p>Does anyone have up to date knowledge of photo carry on baggage rules concerning hard cases. My concern is regarding the frame that is used by airlines to "size" carry on baggage. It seems the soft type bags are able to fit into these frames, but do the hard size cases fit in also, as there is "no give" with a hard case. Has anyone flown recently with hard roller cases such as the Pelican 1510 size or the above mentioned HPRC 2550WF roller case. Thanks for any information. Phil.</p>

<p>Only the airline can tell you. Some are stricter than others regarding size and weight restrictions. As far as I know the standard for carry-on luggage is still as follows:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The maximum combined linear measurement <strong>(L + W + H</strong> ) of the carry-on bag is 45 inches (115 cm) up to 14 in x 9 in x 22 in. The maximum weight of the carry-on bag is 40 pounds (18 kg).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Whether you get away with more than that depends on the whims of the airline gate staff. If it's bigger than the specified size there's always a chance they'll force you to check it. That could vary from airline to airline and even flight to flight. I haven't seen anyone forced tp cram their bag in the "gauge" in years, in fact I'm not sure I've seen one of those "if it fits in here you can carry it on" boxes in a while. The gate staff and cabin staff probably just eyeball luggage and don't usually bother unless it's obviously going to be a problem getting it in the overhead bin. But you never know.</p>

<p>For more on carry-on rules I have a page at http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/carry_on_restrictions.html with some additional details.</p>

<p>Hi Bob. Thanks for your response. Mainly my concern for the HPRC case as a carry on is due to taking a Nikon 500mm lens in the case this year. Although the case has a smaller footprint than the Pelican 1510 roller case, the inside is larger, having said that, the actual outside case measurement of the HPRC case is 44.29 inches. I have read of Pelican 1510 cases being allowed on as carry on, but as you say, sometimes this decision may depend on the agent you see on the day. I do not wish to be put in the position of being told to gate check the case and wait 8 hours to see if the case was used as a basketball.</p>

<p>I travel frequently on business and I have never had anything damaged due to handling when iit was checked in. On 2 occations my bags were lost but then found and returned to me within 48 hours (both were flights returning home). The handling from the ground crews is no different the that from UPS or FedEx when the lens was shippe to you or shipped to the store which sold it to you. Snce you now have it in a hard padded case it should survive the the trip just as well or better.</p>

<p>No mater what you do there is no way you can be sure you will be able to carry it on. If the case with lens meets the weight and size restrictions you still might have to check it in if the plane is full and no space remains for carry on. Furthermore carry on is at the discretion of the flight crew. Even if you do everything right you might still have to check it in. And even if you do carry it on there is always the possibility that the pilot will have a bad day and land in a river.</p>

<p>Buy insurance. That way if the airline damages it, they will pay for it.</p>

<p>Thanks for your response Steven. Yes, I guessed it was going to be a lottery. I suppose it was wishful thinking on my part that there would be something "set in stone" for better handling of photo gear. I see you have been fortunate with your checked luggage and have not lost anything or had anything damaged. It is only because I read other photographic websites, one about "Birding" in particular, that I'm concerned after reading one persons account of seeing loading staff throwing bags and cases over their shoulders from planes onto loaded baggage carts. Once again, this is probably not the norm. As to insurance, yes I do have my equipment insured, however, that does no help one when on arrival at one's destination, purely for photgraphy, you don't have any photographic equipment to use.</p>

<p>Just a couple of points that you already probably know.</p>

<p>The airline will accept no liability for loss or damage of checked cameras and lenses. It's on your ticket in really small print somewhere! Basically they have limited liability for clothing, but pretty much anything else from cash to cameras (i.e. anything actually worth stealing or anything delicate enough to be broken) is specifically excluded from coverage.</p>

<p>It's ultimately up to the flight crew what goes on board the aircraft. They even been known to reject paying passengers, so they can certainly tell you to check your giant lens even if you've gotten it past the gate staff.</p>

<p>I don't know if contacting the airline prior to flying would help. I think they do have provisions for things like musical instruments, though you may have to purchase a seat for it if you bring along your double bass.</p>

<p>The good thing about a hard sided case if that if you are forced to check it, it should survive the baggage handling team. If you try to carry on a soft sided bag and it gets rejected, it (or at least the contents) may be more susceptible to damage during handling.</p>

<p>The old days of "if you can carry it, it's carry-on" are gone. That's not altogether a bad thing on a crowded flight.</p>

<p>Thanks again Bob. Totally agree with you. I did check with the airline two days ago but even their spokes people are unable to give a definate answer to this question, as you say, its only a "maybe", which is really a "none answer"? I think in this case, I would prefer, if asked to check my camera equipment, they offer that I be checked with my bag too. It might get a little cold though.<br>

I did write some thoughts on the Internet two days ago re the handling of and the loss of luggage, it strikes me that as one's cases, of any type, leave the check in desk and travel the conveyor to the plane, that that seems to be the area where some more scrutiny and security should be given. The flying public are given plenty of deserved scrutiny, but the airlines should also put their own houses in order and deal with these losses which appear to come from the loading procedure. Its not too long since a man in California, from an airlines loading staff, was found to have over 1,000 "lost" cases of passengers at his home. I would not suggest by any means that all loaders are suspect, however, it would be in everyone's interest, airlines, passengers and even the loaders themselves, to weed out those people creating this ongoing problem.</p>

<p>+1 for check with the airline. American Airlines offers a detailed listing of what types of carry-ons are allowed. They are showing the absolute maximum allowable dimensions on their website, by airframe. </p>

<p>There is one answer that I don't see posted, and have had to call to get an answer: overhead bin vs. underseat storage dimensions. </p>

<p>I used a 1510 on a flight last summer. It qualified by size and weight as among the allowable styles for that flight. Let me tell you this: it was allowed by them, but not by me. Reason why? Would you want a loaded 1510 falling on someone's head when an overhead bin clicked open? Not me.</p>

<p>I checked that 1510, and felt it was a good idea. I use my selection process for the trip to provide me with loss protection; I'm simply not flying (or using) something I'm not ready to lose. If you value it so much that it's the Family Jewel, well, keep that at home. </p>

<p>The 1510 worked great for checked luggage. </p>

<p>The world is filled with thieves, but it's also filled with people who are going on about their business so much that it's unlikely that they'll stop what they doing just to take my stuff away from me. </p>