Moving film midway from one body to another

chito_baclig

Which camera will use the film first. Whichever one it is, the first camera has to have the ability to rewind the film but leave the leader out (like when you open up a fresh roll.)

- If it does, shoot the 12 exposures then rewind the film. You can rewind the film by either hitting the rewind button OR putting a lens cap on your lens, set the shutter speed to its fastest setting, and then fire off the rest of the roll till the end.

- Remove the film.

- Load it into the second camera.

- With the lens cap on, shutter speed manually set to the fastest setting, flash off, manual focus set, 'shoot' 13 exposures.

You shoot 13 to allow a 'waste' frame to act as a buffer because it is impossible to load the film in both cameras with the same exact alignment.

Take off the lens cap, set the camera to your desired settings, and start shooting.

Once you get the hang of this, it becomes a dirt easy task to accomplish.

Personally, if I were you, I would just load a roll in each camera, shoot what you want, and then just develop both.

The problem is: to my understanding, 1. the rebels do not have the ability to midroll rewind with leader out. 2. the rebels roll the entire roll into the camera and as film transports it transports film back into the cannister, this is a problem since the EOS 3 loads and advances film the "normal" way.

There's other threads on this site that tell, hopefully, how to open a Rebel's back on rewinding just after the frame counter has passed 1, to keep the leader out (you then need to close the back and let the rewinding process complete, else the next roll you put in will just get sucked back into the cassette as soon as you close the back).

Since the Rebels expose from the end of the roll, and the EOS 3 exposes from the front of the roll, you will have to watch your frame count, and there's no guarantee the frames won't overlap where they meet....

On a 24 exposure roll, say you took 20 in the Rebel. You're somehow able to remove the roll and keep the leader out. When you put it in the EOS 3, you'll only be able to take 4 frames before you're double exposing on existing shots. If the action gets heated, and you forget and take 5--Oops!

The exact same thing would happen if you shot in the EOS 3 first, since both cameras expose from different ends of the roll. You'd just have to remember how many shots you did in the 3 (say, 20 again), and only shoot 4 in the Rebel.

I think the EOS 3 can leave the leader out, right? If it does, then you can use the film first on the EOS 3 (say 12 frames), then rewind it (just press the button to rewind in mid-roll - be sure the camera is set to leave the leader out, else you´re stuck - or you can buy a leader retriver in some shop - this will be usefull for both cameras).

Your main problem is that the rebels prewind the film, meaning they start exposing the last frame on the film. If you use it first on the rebel, you will only shoot the first 12 frames on the EOS 3 and then press the rewind button (or end up with 12 double exposures, which I´m sure you don´t want). If the EOS 3 is used first, it will expose the first 12 frames, then rewind and load the rebel. It will prewind, then you expose the other 12, and rewind again, for the same reason.

If you use two cameras that prewind, or wind film normally, just shoot the exposed frames with the cap on, smallest aperture and fastest shutter speed (to assure no light hits the film) to the next frame (in your case, this would be the 13th).

You´d better test this first with a 12 exposure film, just to be sure there isn´t any overlap.

Good luck!

ohhhh. Okay, I think of not doing it anymore, but for my curiousity sake and for the time you all spent (appreciate it), I will go ahead and test, once. I will start with EOS 3 since it can rewind with the leader out (this will be my first time to use this function). I will also note how the rebel prewind. I will post the result. Thank you.

I copied this from a photographic brochure in the UK

Hama

film retriever

Ideal for photographers without the luxury of two camera bodies,

or with a camera which always rewinds the leader. Now you can part use a film and rewind it safe in the knowledge that you won�t waste frames. Very ease to use; won�t damage the film. HA8025 £6.50

www.speedgraphic.co.uk

I don't know about the problems with the different EOS bodies but

this will get the film out of the cartridge.

Hope it helps

For a beginner, there are lot of things that I would like to try even if it might not be usefull (same thing in high school, I thought algebra was not until I became an engineer and a computer programmer but this is a different story), as part of the learning process. And in this case, I just got a really bargain very used still working Rebel X. My test shot with the 135 IS zoom lens was not normal compared to my EOS 3 shots. I am hoping it is just my technique so I can fix it.

Or maybe since the 28-135mm IS is newer than the Rebel X, is there a minor incompatibility? I will be sending an email to Canon and hope I can get an info here too which will be much appreciated. (if not in this thread, I might create a new question after my test)

And since I am still in the Rebel X testing process, I thought that this is the best time to test other things, like film swapping since I just read the leader function of EOS 3. Not to mention that I will only be developing one film instead of 2, which is just minor compare to what I will learn.

• 2 weeks later...
You could also get a Leader Retriever for ~$5 US at a camera shop and pull the leader back out of the roll once you've rewound it. However, if you really want to be cool (and a hit at parties), use the leader from another unexposed roll and pull the leader out of the rewinded roll. See <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003djo">http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003djo</a>