Equipment to take to China? (medium format, 35mm, digital)

evan_c1

<p>Wow, trips to China seem to be popular in this forum.<br>

Well, I'm going for 3 weeks this May and I'm trying to decide what equipment to take. Here's what I've accumulated for the trip so far:</p>

<p>Nikon D200 w/ battery grip, Nikon FM2 as a backup body ('fraid I can't afford a digital backup)<br>

Nikon lenses: AF 28-85mm f3.5-4.5, 105mm f2.8 manual focus<br>

Mamiya M645 1000S medium format w/ prism and handle (for landscape stuff)<br>

Mamiya-Sekor C 45mm f2.8 w/ hood and filters<br>

Gossen Luna Pro light meter</p>

<p>I am considering getting a spot attachment for the light meter, and an SB-600/800, a wider-angle lens, and a longer telephoto (maybe an 80-200 f4) for the Nikons. I also need more memory cards, a tripod, possibly a monopod, and a good bag to fit everything in. Does anyone have any lens/bag suggestions? In your guys' experience, what is necessary and what isn't?</p>

<p>I would not bring the 645, d200 grip and probably the fm2. Buy a wide angle/ tele lens and a small P&S. Films are rare to non existense especially if you are away from HK, Shanghai, Bejing etc... especially 120. Buy a cheap tripod in China... of course, it all depends on how much you are willing to lug and what you shoot.</p>

<p>Evan,<br>

You didn't note where you were gong or what your travel plans were like or the nature of your photographic interests. It makes a difference.<br>

When I traveled back in the film days my most used SLR lens (Pentax) was a 20-35mm lens. I also brought along an 80-200mm and a small 50mm macro both of which I used only sparingly. I was also dragging our 6 month year old around as well so my backup was a point and shoot. I had a very lightweight tripod which I used only a few times for night shots and on the Great wall. Otherwise there just so many people around most of the places I visited I was afraid the rig would get knocked down.</p>

<p>I'd second the 'get a wider lens' that Leslie noted ESPECIALLY with a digital SLR body.</p>

<p> If you are going as a serious shooter and really want to bring the medium format with you you'll need a serious tripod and frankly that's going to be a pain to travel with. Also it is going to separate you from the people you are visiting. IMHO leave the medium format at home.</p>

<p>I would look at getting a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 for the wide, and take the other two lenses. Leave the speed grip at home, along with the Mamiya and tripod. Travel light, look after your gear safely and you shouldn't have any problems with just one DSLR. Bring a little point & shoot and be careful while on the trains.</p>

<p>That said, if you've got the money to spare, I'd look into getting a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and a NIkon 70-300mm VR just to use for travelling. That combo seems to be very popular option for travellers.</p>

<p>It's a group trip but I anticipate having plenty of time for photo stuff. We will be hitting Beijing, Xian, Yueyang City, Chengdu, Lhasa, and Shanghai.</p>

<p>I do really want to bring the medium format because I anticipate a lot of opportunities to use it. I've shot with it around the city where I live and it isn't incredibly cumbersome, especially if you only have one lens for it. It can, of course, be used handheld during the day.</p>

<p>Any suggestions for a wide angle lens? I'd prefer full-frame so I don't have to upgrade in the future.</p>

<p>I dunno, the question is like what color shirts and how many ball point pens should you take.</p>

<p>I'd go with the Mamiya and the FM2. With the light meter, batteries. MF doesn't need a tripod. 20 rolls in each format, cop a cheap tripod there or take one already set up for your kit for night shots. (Even better.)</p>

<p>I second Douglas' advice to go wide. To change that, I'd go wide on 35mm 24 or 21, and a tad longer on MF, 80 and 140. A nice complement to two systems.</p>

<p>I spent three weeks in China in October, with a similar though not identical itinerary. I took a dslr and left the MF slr at home. I did take a Mamiya 7 to use for b&w, and a few rolls of colour slide film in case I needed it as backup. </p>

<p>I came back believing that I'd made the right choices, and felt there would have been very little opportunity to use the medium format slr, tripod and all. For instance photographing the terracotta army I was working at ISO 1600 at 1/15 and 200mm on a full frame dslr. Not MF territory I'd venture. Places like the Forbidden City are busy- using a tripod won't be easy even if allowed. In a group environment being nimble is a prerequisite, otherwise they'll spend time waiting for you and that won't make you popular. </p>

<p>I think you need a longer lens regardless, but I reckon I used a tripod a couple of dozen times on the trip- like dawn trips to the tops of hills near Guilin which I'd arranged especially. Even the neon in the centre of Shanghai was covered handheld. </p>

<p>If you decide to take the MF system and tripod, check your hand baggage limits on your internal flights. Mine was a published 5kg. </p>

<p>Yeah, a Mamiya 6 or 7 was my original choice, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find one and if I had I wouldn't have been able to afford the D200. Also, as I'm sure all of you know, ISO 1600 is not one of the D200's strong points. Sigh, maybe I should sell all my gear and upgrade to a D3s!!! (not serious, I'd have to sell my car too!)<br>

Also, I'm not concerned about theft as most of this gear is replaceable and will be covered by a very good insurance policy.</p>

<p>Well...how much is your budget now? Again, no one is going to tell you to stop if you want to bring the 645 and rolls of 120. It's your right if you have it and want to lug them. However, if you have a tripod why shoot 1600 and 1/15 sec with the d200? You can shoot it at iso 200 or 400 at 1/8 or 1/4. It's the one huge difference for me, instant ISO change. Films can't do.</p>

<p>I would get the 11-16 2.8 tokina or 12-24 f4 tokina. If you want a FF lens, I would get a 20mm but it will only be like 30mm on your d200. I would also buy a fast 50/35 avail light lens. Get a light, slow tele if you can afford it, lastly. Nights are short in May. I would forget the spot meter attachment and just use your d200 if you bring the d200. Keep your 20mm on your fm2 for real wides...</p>

<p>Thanks for your input Leslie. I could reasonably find as much as $1000-1200US more at the moment. Ideally, this will cover a new tripod, additional CF cards, a bag, any additional lenses, and preferably an SB600 flash, film, and extra batteries, though that may be stretching it.</p>

<p>I just realized I never fully answered Doug's question about what I plan to photograph. It will really be a wide range of things, though I anticipate a lot of landscape and architecture scenes (hence the m645) and behind that street, city, candid people and typical tourist destination (i.e. terra cotta warriors) shots (hence the Nikons). I also have a Canon P&S for pocket use of course.</p>

<p>I shoot with Canon gear so this may or may not be applicable to your Nikon needs.<br>

<strong>Cameras:</strong><br>

I base my system on a pair of 1.6x cameras (I think the Nikon version of a crop camera is 1.5x) I won't travel with a single camera since I want to limit lens swapping in the field and to have a backup in case of camera failure. I broke one of my cameras climbing a slippery Alaskan slope on the first day of a ten day trip to the Kenai Peninsula. My second camera saved me.<br>

<strong>Lenses:</strong> <br>

I recommend a mid-range zoom preferably with an f/2.8 aperture and some sort of motion compensation. I use a Canon 17-55mm (28-88mm equivalent) f/2.8 IS lens. The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC would be an equivalent. I didn't think I would need IS on a medium range lens of this focal length but the motion compensation and the constant f/2.8 aperture makes this a good low light glass.<br>

I like a telephoto lens which can be used in a fairly low light level as the second lens which I carry mounted. I have traveled quite a bit in the Orient and like a longer lens for portraits of local people without getting in their faces and for compressing distances. I use a Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens and can shoot at 200mm as low as 1/60 or even 1/30 second which, with the decent high ISO capability of my cameras allows me not to be a slave to bright light.<br>

I COULD shoot the entire trip with these two lenses but. I will also bring a 12-24mm f/4 Tokina. If I were to select a wide angle lens now, I would probably choose the 11-16mm f/2.8 Tokina but, I do love the 12-24mm and I believe that I can work around the f/4 aperture.<br>

I may not carry the 12-24mm every day but, I want to have it available for when I know I will be shooting in tight quarters like the Hutongs of beijing.<br>

<strong>Other gear:</strong><br>

I will bring a modified SLIK Pro 330 DX tripod which, with the optional shorter center column and a Flashpoint F-1 head weighs less than 2.5 pounds. This will be for night photos mainly. I will also bring a carbon fiber monopod which weighs about a pound for carrying during the day. I tend to use this as a walking stick as well as a camera support. I have a KIRK MPA-1 swivel on the pod. The MPA-1 is Arca Compatible and will mesh with the A/c plate on my 70-200mm lens and the L-plate on my camera with the 17-55mm lens. An L plate makes using a lightweight tripod or monopod a lot easier since I don't have to hang my camera cantilevered over on its side for vertical shots on camera/lens combinations which do not include a tripod ring.<br>

I will bring two flashes: Canon 550EX for when I need quite a bit of light and the tiny 270EX which will remain on my camera to provide fill light for close-up portraiture. I use Eneloop rechargeable batteries for these flash units. I also have Joe Demb flash diffusers for each flash.<br>

I will carry extra batteries and chargers for cameras and flashes; CPL and UV filters ads well as a cross screen star filter for night shots and a pair of OPTECH Rainsleeves in case of rain.<br>

I will transport my gear as carry-on in a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW backpack but will send my tripod and monopod aboard in my suitcase. When traveling to and from the airports, the Mini trekker will ride piggy-back on my rolling suitcase. The Mini Trekker and all gear in it weighs well under 10 kilos which is the China Airline's economy class weight limit for carry-on bags. I will not use the backpack while shooting but, will carry my cameras while shooting on an OPTECH Dual harness and carry my accessories in a Domke Vest.<br>

I will take a large amount of CF card memory and my wife will bring her small notebook computer. We will have Wi Fi access in most of our hotels and that is how we plan to communicate with home. I will download my CF cards each evening and duplicate the images to a pair of small 500GB external hard drives. I have estimated that my CF cards will allow me over 2,700 exposures before I have to download - this should be plenty for any day's shooting. The 500GB hard drives will store over 38,000 images. I will carry one hard drive on flights and my wife will carry the other.<br>

The computer as well as the chargers for both my camera and my Eneloop flash AA batteries are dual voltage and can be used on 220 and 110 voltage. I will need only a plug converter for Mainland and for Hing Kong style plugs. I have a Mainland plug converter and will buy a Hong Kong (English style) plug converter in Hong Kong. I also have a tiny three outlet travel surge protector so I will only need one plug converter for each area.<br>

There is a difference in my style of traveling which is dedicated to bringing home some wonderful imagery and another person's consideration that photos are simply an adjunct to travel. If I were not able to shoot all I want and with what gear I want, I probably would have no desire to take this trip. Therefore, I am willing to lug the eight pounds or so of gear I will carry each day. The OPTECH Dual Harness really makes carrying the gear easier since it distributes the weight of the two cameras/lenses across my shoulders rather than around my neck.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think there will be a mixture of landscape and people photography(?). Anyhow, if you are on a tour, there will be lots of activities. If I were you, I would take the digital stuff and leave the other things home. Your Nikon lenses seem to cover a good range. If you add the 80-200 for closeup, that should make a decent pkg. Please do bring your tripod, polarizers, and graduated NDs though. Naturally, also important are accessories such as memory cards, card reader, spare batteries, backup concerns, and perhaps a small power strip that conform with the local outlets. Have fun!</p>

<p>Evan,</p>

<p>You have not listed a wide-angle lens (considering the cropping factor of 1.5x), which will be sorely missed in the cities, museums and historical sites you will likely encounter. Something with a short end of 16 to 18 mm would be appropriate. Smog is ubiquitous throughout eastern China. A long lens won't do much for you in landscapes, but might be useful for street candids. I used a 17-35 for half my shots and a 28-70 for the rest. My 70-200 stayed home (not enough room along with video gear), and I didn't miss it much. If I were to do it all over again, I would have purchased an 18-200 VR for the trip and left the f/2.8 lenses home.</p>

<p>A 645 with a 45mm lens might be a wonderful camera, but amounts to a lot of space and weight for such a limited combination. Leave it at home, along with the load of film it would require.</p>

<p>It's starting to get HOT in May, especially near Shanghai, with high humidity. Beijing was hot in July, but much dryer. You won't want a heavy bag in that kind of weather (and large bags aren't allowed in museums and national monuments). I used a tripod, mainly for video.</p>

<p>If you are traveling on a tour bus, take a small backpack for your gear rather than a shoulder bag. It's much easier to get on and off the bus, and can be carried on one shoulder about as well as a dedicated shoulder bag.</p>

<p>Richard, thanks for your fantastic response. Much of what you mentioned is exactly what I'm looking for. While part of this is a group trip, I just found out I will be spending an additional week in Thailand and Cambodia with the primary goal of getting some great images.</p>

<p>Also, to everyone else, thanks for your great input. However, I am quite set on taking the Mamiya as I am not willing to pass up the opportunity to photograph Everest and Angkor Wat on medium format in order to gain 5 pounds of added convenience. I've been to nearly 30 countries on every sort of trip imaginable and have packed both heavy and light, which is to say that I know what I'm getting into. In my opinion, photography is supposed to be about pushing limits: let's not forget the escapades of the first photographers such as Louis Auguste Bisson who climbed Mont Blanc with 25 porters carrying his whole darkroom just to come back with 2 usable photographs.</p>

<p>Evan, I am with you guy! If you want to take the MF gear, do so. What the heck, this may be a once in a lifetime trip and you don't want to be kicking your butt for the rest of your life because you didn't take the gear you wanted in order to save a few pounds. I don't know how many folks have "advised" me to carry a single DSLR camera and an 18-250mm lens to save weight. That is just not my style.<br>

BTW: here is a good information site for China. I have gained the answers to many questions here:<br>

<a href="http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum.asp">http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum.asp</a></p>

<p><< let's not forget the escapades of the first photographers such as Louis Auguste Bisson who climbed Mont Blanc with 25 porters carrying his whole darkroom just to come back with 2 usable photographs.>></p>

<p>Don't think he had a choice - no digital camera (or at least an F5 or F100 with Velvia), no laptop, no Photoshop, no carbon fibre tripod. But lucky him had 25 porters, and I won't mind having just one. ;)</p>

<p>Ahh yes, but keep in mind that if it were today, surely he would not be leaving behind his 4x5 or P65 to save weight. He would be pioneering on-site holography with those 25 porters!</p>

<p>Oh, and you do have a porter, her name is Mary ;-)</p>

I live in China and been doing travel photography for many years. Shortly, the less to bring the better, you don't have to carry all the "junk" you don't need. I bring my Canon 5D, a 24-105 lens, a very light monopod, possibly the 70-200 lens, a couple of batteries, my laptop, and what I need in the way of cables etc. and that is it.

<p>You could trade in you D200 for a D90. Better sensor, better High ISO capability. I don't think it's worth the weight and risk of lugging MF gear to China, but yeah, I'd take the FM2 along for a different look (film vs. digital) when the light is right. Happy trails!!</p>

<p>I was there this summer for two weeks for fun, but carried my camera around with me too. Got some great shots with just a Canon 40D and the 18-200mm IS f/4-5.6 lens. Its easy to carry around. Unless you are getting really technical with your shots, something like this should be just fine. (sorry im not familiar with the equivalent on the Nikon brand though...)</p>

<p>I have been to China twice, carrying a 4x5 camera, four lenses, spotmeter, tripod, and film. Both of these times in China were part of longer solo backpacking trips that included Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos (first trip, 3 1/2 months), and then Australia, New Zealand, and Japan (second trip, 6 months).<br>

So, I can tell you that carrying your MF camera is certainly do-able. It is mostly a matter of what you want to accomplish photographically, and your commitment to getting it done!<br>

One important point to note: If you plan to photograph in Angkor Wat using a "professional-looking" set up, you may be stopped by the guards, and required to purchase a special permit at around $50USD/day and a couple days' delay to get the permit. You might avoid this with an MF camera and small tripod, but it is unavoidable with large format.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>@ Dan - I have considered that but having used the D200 for a while now I have a hard time putting up with the amateurish interface of the D90. Thus, while the D90 may technically be a better camera, I grudgingly tolerate only being able to reasonably use up to ISO 800 until I can afford a D300.<br>

@ Eric - I did a photo trip around Scandinavia for several weeks carrying only a Canon 20D with a 17-85 IS. Heck, I did the same thing the year earlier with a Rebel XT. I've also carried just the same Rebel XT in Morroco more than once. I got great images on all those trips, but now I'm stepping it up a notch or three. Interestingly, it was during my second trip to north Africa that I decided to switch to Nikon, as at the time I was accompanied by a friend of mine that was shooting Nikon.<br>

@ Michael - I've heard of this sort of thing happening but have never personally run into it. Have you encountered it anywhere else in Asia? Do you think I would have trouble at Angkor Wat with my D200 and perhaps 2 lenses?</p>