White vs Translucent Umbrellas?

chad_hoelzel1

<p>I was just looking at ordering some 30"ish umbrellas online (local store is outrageously expensive for everything) for a strobist setup I'm making with my Speedlites when I noticed more options then I anticipated. I'm wanting to shoot through of course so thought white was what I was looking for. Looks like there are more options. Now there is white, satin white, and translucent (white?). So what's what. I'm guessing white and satin white are the same? Translucent lets through more light then white I'm guessing? What would you suggest for a small home setup for 1-4 people (head and shoulder)? Thanks for your help, Chad</p>

<p>There are differences in each manufacturer's fabric, but all of the white umbrellas I've gotten can be used to shoot through. I prefer to get them with the black removable covers so that you have the option of either shooting through with the cover off, or bouncing the light with the cover on. You also might want to add a silver bounce umbrella to your gear, as it produces a more "crisp" light. I've wanted that at times, depending on the look I was going for. I would suggest 45" umbrellas to use with your speedlights if you have the room for them. They worked well with my SB600s. 30" is too small for the size of groups you want to photograph.</p>

<p>Chad: umbrellas are so inexpensive that it can be helpful to get a large collection of them and experiment to determine who they effect a photographic result. Photoflex makes a variety of styles, and many professional photography shops have unusual ones that are good for creating specular highlights and so on.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hello chad,<br /> I would also Buy the book light Science and Magic. This will help you understand how light works and how to make it work correctly for you.I have used a similar set up I use 2 Vivitar 285HV's. The 285Hv's one hard wired via the pc sync cord the other one is with a optical type slave with shoot threw, and reflective umbrellas, as well as a 40" brolly box umbrella I bought to control light spill. I also have a 36"x48" 5 in 1 photoflex type reflector. I do portraits for family and friends and have had some good results. it depends on the extend of your portraiture, the type of set up you are using now is limited but will still work regardless. Also here is a web site from Jim Talkington called Pro Photo Life he posts a video library on a wide varity of how to subjects. check it out i'm sure it will answer a lot of your questions...link <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.prophotolife.com/" target="_blank">http://www.prophotolife.com/</a></p>

<p>Thanks for the input all. This is a sort of learn and upgrade undertaking. I`ve been laid off for a few months so figured I`d slowly work my way into making some extra money to upgrade my gear. In the near future I would like to continue doing this part time along with the odd wedding I`ve been picking up each year. It`s nice to start understanding how to control light in a controlled environment. My next upgrades wikl be wireless slaves for my two 550EX, 580EX II and metz 45 CL4 flashes. I already have battery packs for all my Canon speedlites so recycle time is fast and I`m not having to change batteries all the time. </p>

<p>Under normal circumstances, the front of the strobe output should be approximately parallel to the outer rim of the umbrella. If you are using speedlights, set the focal length as short as possible, 14m or whatever, which spreads the light. Then take some test photos that shoot the umbrella itself to confirm how much spread you are getting. Don't ever take a shot directly into a bare strobe of any kind though (or the sun), because that can be bad for the sensor, unless you have a filter on your lens.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What would you suggest for a small home setup for 1-4 people (head and shoulder)?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Chad,</p>

<p>There are so many options to choose.<br>

I don't think anyone can say which is better.</p>

<p>For 1-4 people, the choices narrow.<br>

With speedlights only, the choice narrows even more.</p>

<p>Personally, I use mostly Wescott stuff.<br>

For your situation, have a look at the Wescott 30"..perhaps get 3 or 4 of them.<br>

Beyond 30" you are beginning to lose quite a bit of flash power weather you bounce or shoot thru.<br>

30" IMO are great for on location photography AND they are small when folded and weigh almost nothing. Great too when I need an assistant to hand hold one outdoors.<br>

Two of them will easily cover 4 people.</p>