Virus attack from Photo.net

achieve_ikroman

<p>Why is your website attacking my PC with virus. I had to clean my computer disk and reinstall Windows XP after visiting your photo site. I lost some photos and files on my PC because of this. this will be my last posting here as i wouldn't be visiting this virus-infected website anymore....so long.</p>

<p>This post is repeated every couple of weeks by someone completely unaware of how internet malware builds up on their computer (and they are usually Windows XP users). I have 2 points to make on the subject:</p>

<p>1. Malware is usually loaded by errant websites and lies dormant, like a benign cancer cell, until it can gather muster and attack when you are least expecting it. The virus is more effective the longer it goes undetected, so they will attempt to hide their existence for a long period of time while silently wreaking havoc or stealing your passwords, etc. Take some responsibility for your own browsing habits.</p>

<p>2. Windows XP is not a secure networking environment, and even less so if you are using MS Internet Explorer. Get with the modern updates and load Vista at least, and Windows 7 to get the most modern protection against network attacks. Finally, switch to a third party browser like Opera or Firefox. MOST VIRUS ATTACKS are designed for loopholes in the most common systems. Today, the most common systems are still using Windows XP and Internet Explorer, as many professional IT departments have been duped into fighting upgrades and remaining with their old faulty software. Don't be a sucker, and upgrade to a modern OS to protect against the myriad viruses out there that have been taking advantage of Windows XP users for over 8 years.</p>

<p>It is possible to pick up malware from just about any website and photo.net is no exception to that. We do everything we can to minimize the risk, but no web site which carries third party content (and that's 95% of the sites you visit) can guarantee you 100% immunity 100% of the time. It's just not possible, not here on photo.net and not anywhere else either. That's why having effective firewalls, anti-virus and anti-spyware utilities running is very important.</p>

<p>Equally important is backing up your important data at regular intervals, and there are utilities out there which will do that backup in real time.</p>

<p>Running the latest version of Windows with all the security updates doesn't guarantee you immunity either, and neither does running OS X. There are no browsers which are immune to attacks either. Of course you can increase the risk by running old versions of old software with known security issues, but nothing is immune since no software is perfect.</p>

<p>If you assume the worst and take precautions, you won't be surprised.</p>

<p>

There are very, very few malware attacks that require cleaning the disk and reinstalling the operating system. The vast majority of infections can be removed with no loss of data, though that may take some skill, time and effort. Wiping the disk and reinstalling the OS should be the very last thing to do, and only when everything else has failed