Marketing Tool Feedback Please

mitch_hammes

<p>As a promotional tool, I have put together an attractive, portable floor display that holds 15 of my own framed 8x10 photos. I'm currently putting it in high trafffic locations within businessess, office buildings, etc. in hopes of driving potential clients to my website to purchase prints, book my services or just to say that my work has been on display at "ABC Corporate Offices". I promote it as a 'traveling photography exhibition" and it stays in one location for 2-3 weeks.</p>

<p>My question is: If I were to able to place 3 or 4 of these displays in a single location featuring the work of multiple photographers and a biography/contact information for each photographer, would you pay to display your work in this exhibit? Printing the 8x10 and framing it would be included in the price. All frames would be the same to preserve the asthetics of the exhibit. The price would be $125 to display 5 photos.</p>

<p>Thank you in advance for your positive and negative feedback, questions, comments and concerns. <br>

�</p>

<p>Marketing of this kind is valuable only if it puts the pictures in front of people who buy that kind of pictures.<br>

Do you have <strong>any</strong> evidence that this kind of display marketing produces sales?<br>

Putting my pictures in front of an audience of random office workers would not be worth any money to me, because random office workers don't buy my work.<br>

Having a credit line "Photos shown at xyz offices" doesn't go far on a resume, and even less far toward paying the rent or buying a new lens.<br>

Sorry, I don't see this as a useful marketing tool.</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p>

<p>Personally, no. I find that even when positioned in good locations, these exhibits really only work when there's a human being and personal relationship to back them up. I have installations with a baby boutique, peds office, OB/GYN office, and other places but the reason I receive feedback and bookings is because the owners of the establishments talk about me. Just hanging random images doesn't create any sort of dialogue or first-hand endorsement and I feel that's what really brings the clients in. </p>

<p>Good luck though! Keep the ideas flowing . . . </p>

<p>Karen Lippowiths</p>

<p>Oh, one additional thought. I wouldn't want to hang my work alongside 3 or 4 others at the same time. Viewers would be confused (even if the images are clearly labeled, they won't remember whose work mine) and there's an obvious conflict of interest if your promoting two photographers of the same kind (two wedding photogs or two portrait photogs). If you're promoting a landscape artist and a wedding photographer, I would wonder what venue would be appropriate to feature both without seeming too generic.</p>

<p>:) Good luck!</p>

<p>Karen Lippowiths</p>