Hate my site please help

gerry_braatz

<p>I've decided to go pro and I know I have to update my site. I use SmugMug which I love but I need something more. Please check it out and give some ideas. I am considering developing a flash site & integrate it with my current site. I need to move from the friendly photographer that everyone around here knows to a photographer/ artist that people want. www.photographybygerry.com</p>

<p>What type of photography are you looking to promote with your site? As it is now, I'm not sure what the focus is...good pictures of animals and a few cars but very few 'people' shots. Are you looking to go pro in portraits, weddings, wildlife photography, etc.? I guess my question is 'why would people want you'? Not a question of skill, but 'who' would want you...potential brides, families, companies wanting stock photos? I think you should consider the answers to that and have photos to support that. </p>

<p>Also, the bio on the home page is very lengthy and is kinda hard to read as it is, looks like a big run-on sentence. Maybe have an 'about' tab for this or just make it more brief?</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Gerry,<br>

I count three fonts on the first page. One script, one Comic (?) and Helvetica (plus Helvetica Bold). Pick a font and stick to it. The green on black vibrates and makes the site look less serious. "Gerry" dominates the site and instead of remembering your pictures, they are going to remember the bright green Gerry.<br>

Pick a speed for the slide show. They can pause and fast forward so the choice of speed is just clutter.<br>

On your pricing you have "Free" in there a LOT. Its not free. They are paying for the entire package. You want to be viewed as a professional, not a late night TV pitch. Instead of saying "you get" use "includes." Name your packages (Basic, Deluxe, Premium) and separate the prices from the features. You want them to buy the package, not the price.<br>

Instead of "medium or web quality" use "web ready photos" or even "ready to email." No one wants to pay for "just above low." Same with "High Quality 8x10." You want them to assume they are getting high quality instead of having to be told.<br>

Remove the part about $.25 a mile and put a asterisks next to "anywhere" and define it as the "Greater Nashville Area." If someone wants to shoot outside of the area, negotiate a larger package. You dont want to spend time reading odometers or arguing with a client about how far away they were.<br>

The links button goes to two pictures with HUGE watermarks. ????<br>

"This gallery has no photos to display" Why not? Take some!!! Get a friend to be your model. Shoot yourself. What ever it takes, put a picture in there!!! and "Let's hope it gets good ones soon!"??? As opposed to crappy ones?<br>

Banish "Site under construction." Get it done or go with what you have.<br>

Not so sure about two pictures of horse and girl butts. Some might see it as an obsession.<br>

Sorry to be harsh.<br>

Good luck!<br>

Rob</p>