Help on new camera

kristopher_kruse

<p>

<p>Hey guys. I'm new here. My name is Kristopher. Just signed up. I've been a lurker for a week or so. Anyways. I would so so so appreciate it if all yall would give me your input on my selection of a camera. I'm going to buy my first big boy camera and I'm not sure which one I should get and which one is a better deal. These are my choices so far.</p>

<p>Olympus OM-1N MD </p>

<p>Olympus OM-2N</p>

<p>Minolta XE-7</p>

<p>Pentax K1000</p>

<p>So those are my picks after a good months worth of research. I want a good film camera and I'm going for one that was made back in the 70's and or 80's. I just like how they were made back then. I'm up in arms with which one I should get though. I will mention that I did do research on Pentax MX and I would love that one, but most are out of my price range. Not to mention the LX which is really out there. I'm trying to stay below $200. I would really appreciate what everyone thinks here because I know you guys have a whole lot more smarts about this stuff than I do right now. </p>

<p>Thank you. </p>

</p>

<p>Well. I know some of them don't have DOF preview on them. Some of them don't have much room for accessories. One thing I like about the Pentax line is that the lenses will work for any of them (most of the time). So I like that. I just want a camera that has the best manual settings (so I can learn the most out of it), that has the most features but isn't sacrificing quality, and that will take classic and wonderful photos. And honestly, I don't know which one that is out of the bunch. I'd much rather have a few opinions from the experts before I purchase one. Ya know?</p>

<p>Also I should say this. There's a guy on eBay that seems to be reputable and trustworthy on the camera's he's selling.<br>

http://stores.ebay.com/Equipment-by-thePhotopia<br>

I've checked KEH, but most of the camera's are BGN and I'd much rather have my first camera to be in better condition. I don't know much about them yet and I don't want to repair anything. Not until I understand them better.</p>

<p>It's difficult to go by the condition ratings when comparing different vendors. Ebay has no real standards for condition, except that if the seller says something false in the listing and you're not happy with it you're entitled to a refund which Paypal enforces (so only buy items that the seller explicitly says are working). Keh, on the other hand, uses EX/BGN etc to indicate cosmetic condition. A BGN item from them might be scratched but unless they specify in the text that some component isn't working, they are guaranteeing that it is. So a BGN item from Keh is often better than an EX item from an Ebay seller.</p>

<p>Someday, you will want to add a digital body. Any lenses you buy for the K1000 will also work on any of Pentax's digital bodies; no other manufacturer maintains that degree of compatibility.</p>

<p>Apart from that consideration, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those.</p>

<p>Rick</p>

<p>Camerapedia says that the XE-7 has an electronically controlled shutter; there is a backup mechanical speed setting, but generally, I avoid this in film cameras. An all mechanical shutter dial will probably last longer with less fuss.</p>

<p>Those Olympus cameras are pretty good; but that N designator implies more electronics.</p>

<p>K1000. The light meter is a photocell built into the pentaprism; the electricity doesn't control anything except the display of the light meter needle. It runs off of a watch battery. Only detractor with that is that you have to remember to cap the lens because the light meter is on all the time. No biggie.</p>

<p>All of those are good cameras. Since the Pentax K1000 relies less on electricity than the others, I suspect a greater longevity. Even considering that, though, I have a few cameras here which require batteries to operate and are about 30 years old; they're all doing just fine.</p>

<p>The main advantage of a low reliance on electronics is with durability. If there's no circuit board to crack, no electricity to short circuit (excepting PC cord socket; another subject, really), and the camera will always trip the shutter when you cock the spring; well, it's going to last.</p>

<p>I would pick K1000; but, I cannot say that there's anything wrong with the other choices. In the end, it's a camera, and your real value is going to come from the utility. How much utility you get out of the camera is going to have a heckuva lot to do with getting out there and using it.</p>

<p>The OM-1N is a mechanical camera with built-in meter. It will work fine (sans meter) when the juice runs out. The OM-2N is battery-dependent. Both use SR44s - one for the OM-1N, two for the OM-2N - which last pretty much forever. I think the meter is active for as long as the camera is switched on, which is something to watch out for if you're worried about battery drain. Both are system cameras intended for professional use and the range of accessories available is pretty large and impressive. One thing to remember with the OM-2N is that Off doesn't really mean Off - the meter is switched off but comes on momentarily if the shutter is released, offering an emergency aperture-priority AE shot down to a minimum shutter speed of 1/30s. Another is that it offers off-the-film exposure and flash metering.<br /> <br /> The MX, like the OM-1N, is a fully-mechanical camera with build-in meter. It too has a superb finder, but not quite as bright or clear (my opinion, obviously) as the OMs. Stick a 40mm f/2.8 on it and you really do have a fine pocket SLR - the OMs are compact enough, but this thing is tiny. When size isn't an issue I like to carry mine with the winder attached and a Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5 out front.<br /> <br /> I've never tried the Minolta or the K1000 so I can't say anything useful about them.<br /> <br /> From your list I think I'd pick the OM-2N, grab a 50mm f/1.4 Zuiko and a huge pile of Tri-X, and go have a ball. And perhaps pick up a Nikon F3HP + MD4 later on to keep it company. ;-)</p>

<p>Wow. You guys are really amazing. This is exactly why I signed up. </p>

<p>I'm a little mixed now about the Pentax MX and the two Olympus models. I would say I would like to be less dependent on electric. A pure mechanical camera would be to my liking. A battery or two isn't that big of a deal. I wouldn't want the shutter to be electric though. </p>

<p>Another question, if yall don't mind. This guy on eBay that I'm considering buying from says he replaces the door light seals and mirror bumper and he says you need to replace those things for as old as they are. Now I have no idea what those things are. Could someone shed a little light on it, please?</p>

<p>Kristopher, these are foam rubber bits that tend to start to disintegrate and/or turn gooey after a while. Light leaks on the film loading door can fog your film, and on the mirror bumper can in some cases cause the mirror to literally get stuck in the up position.</p>

<p>I shoot Pentax, so don't know a whole lot about Olympus but the MX is a nice, solid, but compact camera with a really big viewfinder, has DoF preview and shows aperture and shutter speed in the viewfinder. If compact isn't quite so important, you can also consider its larger predecessor, the KX.</p>

<p>KX is in the same family as K1000 but is more fully-featured. In addition to self-timer & DoF preview, it also offers mirror lock-up and instead of the 5 LED's (+1, +0.5, 0, -0.5, -1) in the MX's viewfinder, it has a analog 'matched needle' scheme where one needle shows the currently selected shutter speed and the other shows the meter-recommended shutter speed. I like this scheme because it somewhat better shows how far off your exposure is but the numbers are a little harder to see against darker backgrounds & in low light than the LEDs, so both have pros & cons. Viewfinder isn't quite as big & bright as the M-series. MX also allows coupling with a motor drive/winder while KX does not (if I recall correctly). It's also nice that MX and KX have an actual on/off switch/shutter lock, rather than the K1000 where the lens cap functions as the meter switch.</p>

<p>I like KEH but have bought several bodies from e-bay sellers as well. You may want to invest in a CLA (clean, lubricate, adjust) on your "new" Pentax from <a href="http://www.pentaxs.com/">Eric Henderson</a> , he has a good reputation among Pentax owners. It is somewhat common to find small dents in the pentaprisms on M-series Pentax bodies--the metal is pretty thin so many of these thirty-year-old cameras show signs of being knocked at least once...in my opinion not something to worry about much for a shooter but a collector might see it differently.</p>

<blockquote>I'm a little mixed now about the Pentax MX and the two Olympus models. I would say I would like to be less dependent on electric. A pure mechanical camera would be to my liking. A battery or two isn't that big of a deal. I wouldn't want the shutter to be electric though.</blockquote>

<p>That would be the Olympus OM-1N and Pentax MX, then. Even then the OM-2N is a god choice since the batteries it takes are available almost anywhere and have a very long shelf life, so packing spares is no bother. The real difference between the mechanical bodies then comes down to whether you prefer the shutter speed on a normal top-mounted dial (MX) or on a collar around the lens mount throat (OM-1N); both - and the same goes for a Nikon FM-series camera, should you consider one - have available a long list of accessories and top-notch lenses.</p>

<p>Hmmm..... I don't mind the battery thing. That isn't a big deal. I can carry around some batteries in the camera bag or something. It's not a deciding factor. The top mounted dial for the shutter speed does sound a little bit easier for a newcomer to the photography world (me). I have to say the Pentax MX is sounding like a good choice. However, the Pentax KX that you mentioned Andrew is sounding pretty decent too. I didn't put too much thought on it before. Now I am. Although.... I have to put into consideration that the Olympus models are easily available on eBay for a decent price by a reputable seller. The Pentax's on KEH are BGN. But Andrew Lynn, going by your word, the BGN on KEH are a better option. <br>

Right now, there's a MX and KX on KEH under the BGN condition for $99 each. That is not a bad price. The Olympus OM-2N is on KEH in EX condition for $149-$189. Not too bad but I still have to buy a lens which adds up in the end. I'd much rather spend less on the body and more on the lens. According to some articles I've read so far, the lens is what you want to spend money on. The Nikon FE and FM are on KEH for a considerable price as well. On eBay there's a MX I'm looking at by a decent sounding seller for a good price in EXC condition. I never made decisions easily. I'm sure yall are finding that out. <br>

The one thing that's pulling me too the MX though is the all mechanical and the option to put a MD on it. That draws me to it. Back into research mode...</p>

<p>Another possible option is <a href="http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eKonicaStart.html">Konica</a> --had some good, full-featured mechanical bodies as well, and as a dead mount the equipment is very inexpensive. Many of them also offer shutter-priority autoexposure as well. The Autoreflex T-series bodies are super-solid though on the large and heavy side, the T4 is a bit smaller with a brighter viewfinder but sacrifices mirror lock-up the viewfinder shutter-speed indicator. So one of the things that distinguishes these is the shutter-priority orientation--the matched-needle meter in the viewfinder is labeled with f/stops rather than shutter speeds. A drawback of these cameras is that their meters relied on mercury cells so rather than the more readily available alkaline or silver-oxide batteries you probably need to use somewhat pricier zinc-air, wein cells, etc.</p>

<p>Andrew: Yeah I actually was looking at one of those last week. I found one on eBay for a good price and almost went for it but the battery thing took me back. I didn't know about the Wein cells at the time so I was taken back pretty instantly. But I do know about the battery options now. Which makes it more open. A lot of good camera's out there I'm finding out. </p>

<p>My primary cameras are Pentax but I've been looking into Konica a bit lately. The draw is the good & cheap glass. It is my impression that generally speaking the Olympus OM and Pentax K glass is fairly close in price, Nikkor a little more, and Konica a bit less. I'm sure there are deals to be had with Minolta MD and Canon FD as well but I haven't yet looked as closely at these.</p>

<p>You may want to consider <a href="http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/">PentaxForums marketplace</a> for K-mount gear, a bit more of a community than e-bay, though since the sellers are more likely to know the value of their gear you're a little less likely to stumble on a steal like you might on e-bay or Craigslist (incidentally, Craigslist has the benefit of buying in person, seeing the equipment first).</p>

<p>I've had the K1000 for about 30 yrs now. this camera has traveled all through the USA and Europe, it has never failed me! i have dropped kicked and generally not treated it nice. I would reccomend this to antone wanting to learn<br>

Tou are doing the right thing by wanting to learn manual first</p>