Professional 35mm FIlm

<p>There are three professional "portrait" films at that speed: Kodak Portra 400NC, Kodak Portra 400VC, and Fujifilm Pro 400H. They're all excellent films. But, more of the result from any professional film is the quality of the processing and printing. Honestly, professional printing is more important than professional film. Kodak's higher-quality "amateur" film, High Definition 400, is very respectable.<br>

The smallest package Kodak sells Portra in is a sleeve of 5. There may still be bulk boxes of 20 rolls. Many dealers break the packs to sell single rolls.<br>

None of these films are sold in 100 foot rolls in bulk loading, nor is there ever really much effective discount for color film in bulk rolls.<br>

If you want 400 speed slide film, Fujifilm Provia 400X is the best choice.</p>

<p>In the UK it's now impossible to get hold of Kodak UC or HD. The recommendation from Kodak's professional 135 film adviser at their UK HQ today for both was Gold 200 or 400. Not very helpful! I find Portra great for people scenes but poor for city- or landscapes (processed and scanned by English pro lab, Peak Imaging). Personally, I like Fuji Pro 800z for these, but am just about to try Provia 400x.</p>

<p>Nick, I believe UC and HD are no more? I think Ektar replaced UC and you can easily buy it from mx2 or 7dayshop or a bunch of other places. I've no idea what HD is supposed to be replaced by.</p>

<p>Can't be more specific, I use the Portra line which thankfully seems to be holding up to the weekly rebranding/discontinue/re-release cycle of the rest of Kodak's films.</p>