$600 for a Photography MFA set up...

keli_s

<p>So when I did my undergrad film photography was still all that was offered. Now I am thinking of pursuing my MFA and I don't have much cash to put toward a set-up. I need a durable camera (used is fine) that is good for multiple applications.<br /> <br /> The Pentax K-x has caught my eye mainly because it appears to be extremely versatile and any lenses I buy should be a good fit for other Pentax cameras if I upgrade the body. The Nikon D90 is a bit out of my price range but if I had the cash I'd prefer that to any other camera. My main concern is versatility and durability. I don't want the camera to be completely obsolete in a few years.<br /> <br /> Any suggestions?</p>

<p>Are you looking at $600 for everything, meaning body, lenses, and flash? If so, that's going to be a stretch.<br>

KEH is a great place to get used gear. They have several D80s in the $500 range, and a D90 for just over $700. But if you're talking about durable as in metal body, good weather sealing, etc., then you're going to have to spend alot more than that and look at the pro level bodies.<br>

As far as a camera becoming obsolete, that is just the way of digital these days. They aren't like film cameras where you can use them for years and years, especially if you're shooting day in and day out. You don't necessarily need the latest and greatest every time something new hits the market, but digital cameras do die eventually, and can be horribly expensive to repair vs. purchasing a replacement.<br>

I have a D80 and really like it, but it is a polycarb body and not weather sealed or super durable like the upper end Nikons and Canons.<br>

As for glass, if you need to save money, I've had great luck with some Sigma lenses. My 105mm Sigma macro is fantastic!</p>

<p>Pentax K-x is a pretty good deal. Fast, state-of-the-art high ISO performance. Also includes video and a usable live view mode including accurate contrast-detect autofocus. It is though in a small plastic body with an entry-level-type control layout. </p>

<p>If you want a more robust build with sealing, consider the outgoing K10D or K20D. These are a little larger with higher spec in terms of build--weather sealed, larger pentaprism viewfinder, lots of dedicated hard controls on the bodies. Unlike K-x, they also allow wired cable release and show active autofocus points in the viewfinder. K200D is also sealed; basically K10D tech inside a somewhat smaller but still sealed body with a simpler control layout and a pentamirror viewfinder.</p>

<p>We all like brand new cameras with all the latest features but from a pure photographic standpoint literally <em>any </em> D-SLR will do the job. If you do go used, KEH isn't a bad place to go. You can also find lots of used pentax gear on the <a href="http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/">marketplace at pentaxforums</a> . There is something to be said for having a warranty though as you'll get with a new body.</p>

<p>I would go for Canon or Nikon b/c they have the most accessories and are the most widely available. One thing you should note about the K-x before you buy is that it takes AA batteries, that is correct AA batteries, it blew me away too. This alone would keep me from buying it. I don't have experience with Nikon, but the Canon 20D body can be bought used for about $300 and it is a great camera that has a magnesium body so its very durable. The 40D is even better than the 20D, but is $600 used. The 20D will leave you more money for lenses. You could get a 20D and a Canon EF-s 17-85mm IS lens used for under $600 and this would be a heck of a setup for that price. This would be my suggestion.</p>

<p>Best question. What is the style of your work? First of all, film is only dead if your work flow doesn't work with it. Otherwise, film can always be scanned.</p>

<p>Second, I was about to suggest use MF and LF gear, but versatile might be an issue.</p>

<p>After that, I would say Nikon, and only for one reason. The used glass. You can get some amazing AI manual focus lenses for under $200. Pick up a used D200 and some older AI lenses. This a really good setup if you have access to studio equipment, and don't need huge prints.</p>

<p>aa batteries, especially the price of rechargeable aa batteries being cheap as chips, i'd ignore the esteemed gardener and make this the single most important factor being buying the pentax. pentax will offer you just as many older lenses at cheap prices with superb optics, certainly better than canon in many respect. the body is better quality than any of the canons mentioned so if your 600 dollar stretches to it, get the pentax.</p>

<p>AA's work fine in these Pentax bodies. Best to get Sanyo Eneloop batteries and a good smart battery charger like LaCrosse, etc.; 'regular' NiMH AA rechargeables work well but self-discharge over time even when the camera isn't being used or they're sitting in your bag. I still own a Pentax *ist DS2 that takes AA's, and while I prefer the single lithium-ion rechargeable of some of my other bodies like K-7, this isn't that important a factor. </p>

<p>Additional benefits of AA's--while alkalines won't work well, you can get good life out of the disposable AA lithium cells that are readily available--either as a backup set in your bag, or easily purchased at a drugstore. Also, you use the same batteries in your flash, this can be convenient as well to have a single battery type for both.</p>

<p>The truth is that any D-SLR can do the job but your money may go a little further with Pentax--also boasts good backward compatibility with lots of great manual focus glass. There's something to be said though for the ability to walk into a store and buy Canon or Nikon accessories; with Pentax, you usually need to order over the internet unless you happen to live in a place with especially well-equipped photo stores like NYC.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the responses. I think I may go the Pentax route for sheer adaptability. It's my understanding though that the Pentax K-x doesn't work well with rechargeable batteries but I may have to see about that. Also, KEH looks interesting. I have loads of older film cameras (few Mamiyas, Canons, 1 Yashica) that I think might garner me enough cash to create the digital system of my dreams. Thanks!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Don't go pentax, they're second tier for a very obvious reason, they can't compare to Nikon or Canon. Get a 20d, if you're lucky, you'll be able to find one of ebay for 200-300. This along with a 50mm 1.8 mark 2 will only cost around 400 max all together, and will beat out a beginner pentax in terms of ergonomics and image quality.<br>

I own a 50d, and recently purchased a 20d as a back up and stuck my 50 on it. I was AMAZED by it's capabilities compared to my much newer d80, and d200.</p>