EOS Body and Manfrotto Ball Head RC2 or RC4 Quick Release

tom_a4

<p>Hello,<br>

I was looking to get a Manfrotto brand ball head (Model 488 or 498) for use with a 40D body. I noticed that this model comes with two different types of quick release camera connectors - an RC2 quick release and a RC4 quick Release.</p>

<p>The RC4 is somewhat flatter and wider. I've read some comments on the Web about the RC4 getting in the way when using an SLR body. Just curious if anyone is using the RC4 type quick release with an EOS body (40D, 50D, etc) and if it fits and works well.</p>

<p>If RC4 is the hexagonal plate, I use one for my view camera. It's waaay overkill for a DSLR, no matter how big the lens. Think about the relatively flimsy lens mount in comparison. It doesn't look like it will interfere with the battery door, but I haven't actually tried the big plate on the body. I use an RC2 on everything. No experience with the big bazooka lenses you must be contemplating.</p>

<p>Here's a shot of an RC2 adapter on the RC4 plate on my 3047 head.</p>

<p>(PS: The RC4 has a 3/8" bolt. It won't fit standard 1/4-20 tripod mounts.)</p><div>00Vito-218777584.jpg.29a859de9c3f19595124d99615a1cf2c.jpg</div>

<p>The hexagonal plate appears to be RC0 (that is, Rapid Connect 0). RC2 and RC4 are different things.</p>

<p>For many years I used an RC0 hex plate with a variety of film SLR, DSLR, and other cameras. It's a reasonably effective and inexpensive system, but has quirks - most dangerously, the locking of the plate on the tripod is not always as secure as it looks. One memorable day it dropped a P&S camera five feet onto a concrete floor - somehow it survived. I do not believe my 5D would survive that, so last year I switched to Arca-Swiss plates, and I've been very pleased with them.</p>

<p>I never used RC2 or RC4, so I can't speak to them. You might get better replies in the tripods forum.</p>

<p>I have the Bogen 410 mini gear head which only comes with the RC 4. Depending on how you mount it it will interfere with the batter door on the 5D MkI. It isn't much interference but it does require that you loosen the plate in order to replace tyhe battery. I am thinking of cutting off a little bit of the curved portion of this plate to elliminate the interference. Personnally I would prefer the RC2 on the 410 mini gear head but Bogen doesn't offer that configuration. </p>

<p>I'm another 486 with RC2 user. I started using RC2 with an earlier ball head when I was shooting with an EOS 5. I am very happy with the combination. I carry my 50D with either 17-40 or 70-200 f4 mounted on the tripod a lot. Two things I would like to emphasize are: 1) be sure the RC2 is secured flush with your camera body or lens, and 2) have personal lines insurance that covers accidental loss. I have RC2's screwed onto my lens collars for both my 70-200 f4 and 300 f4. I have total confidence with this combination. I pay about $50/year for personal lines insurance that covers 4 L lenses/haze filters/polarizers and 2 camera bodies. You never know when you might trip or when the canoe might capsize. </p>