ND filters

tyler_webb

So I just got a nikon 35mm f1.8. I wanna get some ND filters for waterfalls and waves mostly. I also have the nikon kit lens 18-70mm. I'm

curious which lens would be best for this. Being different filter sizes I'd like any imput on which I'd get the most bang from. Thanks

<p>Either lens is fine. With longer exposures you want to make sure the zoom won't move during an exposure. That's never been a problem for me, but you can tape the zoom ring if you want to. If you do, be sure to use gaffer tape or the blue masking tape that doesn't leave residue, so you don't leave tape adhesive all over your lens.</p>

<p>As for the different filter sizes, I buy filters to fit the largest size filter threads of the lenses I have, and use step-up adapter rings to fit the filters to lenses with smaller size filter threads...saves me a good bit of money.</p>

<p>Following up with more detail, if you need it:<br /> Although larger filters may cost quite a bit more than smaller ones, the bigger filters will serve on the smaller diameter lenses with step-up adapters (or "rings") so you don't end up buying a half-a-dozen different diameter polarizing filters, for example.</p>

<p>The step-<em>up</em> adapters [<em>up</em> or <em>down</em> goes from the LENS filter-screw diameter* (1st diameter) to the FILTER(2nd)] are available very inexpensively at places like (<a href="http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/adapterrings.aspx">link</a> ). You buy, say, a 77mm filter and could use a 67>77mm step-up adapter to mount it on a 67mm diameter lens. There may be a point, of course, where if the lens and filters are too different and so awkward as to be impracticable (as, for example, an 81mm filter mounted on a 36mm filter diameter lens).</p>

<p>________<br /> *The lens filter diameter will usually be marked on the inside ring of the lens with a diameter icon, as in "∅52mm" where ∅ means diameter-although the symbol is often engraved so it looks like phi (Φ).</p>

<p> The above advice regarding filter size and rings is sound. As to your question about which lens is best for the stated purpose, the 18-70 would be my choice. You'll be using a tripod anyway, and the ability zoom is very handy around things like waterfalls, streams, etc.</p>

<p>Second the step ring.</p>

<p>Unless the filter size is vastly different (more than a few mm) step rings are ideal.</p>

<p>Just get the filter to fit the largest lens, and use step-down rings to fit the smaller lenses.</p>

<p>I do this often with a 62 to 58 and 55mm and a 52 to 49mm.</p>

<p>The other option, and perhaps actually better for this purpose, since you will be shooting these scenes primarily on a tripod...is to by into a Cokin P style system.</p>

<p>These are square filters that fit lenses up to about 82mm or so, and can via adapter ring be used on every lens you own.</p>

<p>This is also the only system to go with if you choose to use glass GND filters to work with sky/foreground dynamic range issues.</p>

<p>As far as the lens, since you will be probably shooting these are middle to small apertures, either lens should do fine.</p>

<p>If you go with a higher ND filter, you can open the lens up a bit more making both lenses probably fairly equivalent.</p>

<p>That said, in most cases a prime lens at optimal aperture will beat a zoom lens (assuming both are high quality). Let me stress the "most cases" there are certainly zooms that at a given FL and aperture best many primes, but a kit lens vs a decent prime? The prime will probably win.</p>

<p>From another angle ...<br>

If that's Nikon's 18-70, it's a darn nice lens.</p>

<p>Depending on whether the waterfalls are in deep woods or bright sunlight may impact the choice. Presuming you stop both down 2 stops to the 'typical' sharpest aperture, the prime's best is two down from 1.8 so about F4, the zoom is then at F8. (this is all somewhat rhetorical)</p>

<p>That prime will take a boat load of ND darkening to give you long exposures, even at low ISO. The zoom gives you the 'effect' of 2 stops of that for free. Depends on how much sliky, motion-blurred water you want. I find about 1 second for most falls is pleasing to me.</p>

<p>So, without the need to stop down to tiny, diffraction inducing apertures, the zoom may just be better since it's a slower lens. Nothing is here comparing IQ of the lens, just its utility for the task.</p>

<p>Food for thought.</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>While on the topic of ND filters, you should also consider a graduated ND filter (GND). A GND filter is darker at the top and becomes lighter as it goes towards the bottom. The idea is to darken the sky while not darkening the subject and foreground. The filter can be rotated in the event you want to darken the bottom and not the top.</p>

<p>There are also split ND filters where half is dark and half is not. The GND filters are the ones to get.</p>

<p>look at the Cokin P Holder. This is a filter holder that goes on the front of the lens and hold square filters. It can be used on numerous lenses. For a regular ND, the step up ring would be fine, but if you ever wanted to get some grads, the P holder is great b/c it allows you to move the filter up and down to adjust the horizon line of the grad. Once you buy the holder, you only have to buy one filter of each type and it can be used on all your lenses. Just another suggestion to consider.</p>

<p>Tyler just a quick note on choice of systems because everyone here is talking Cokin.</p>

<p>This depends very much on your budget but there is another system that works on the same principal as Cokin and they are Lee Filters. They still attach and can be used just like the Cokin ones but they are supposed to better quality and they come with a certain price tag attached.</p>

<p>Personally I use the Cokin ones and haven't had any problems, but sometimes it's nice to know there is a choice out there.</p>

Well I went yesterday and the local camera shop didint end up having a 52mm to 67mm but in looking online, I see they

do make them. So I think from the advice here and what I feel is probably best suited for me now that I'm going to go with

the 67mm ND filters and get the step down ring. The 67mm was my first so I already have some filters as well and have

none for the new lens. Thank you everyone for the input. I didn't even know about step up rings. Thanks again.