Any magazines left for film users?

<p>Shutterbug shows some film articles. But, it's mostly Digital. Saw one letter in a Shutterbug mag several years ago. Where the person said that there has been Decades of articles for film users. Now, it's Digital's time. Wish there was more articles for film users. If, people only see articles for Digital. They could think that film is dead. We know that that, and the old wet darkroom still exist.</p>

<p>For toy camera film photography there is a magazine called 'Light Leaks', you can do a google search on them. Then there is a magazine called 'Shots' dedicated to B&W photography, but I don't know how much of the featured photographers use film. I don't think Shots has hardware articles in it anyway. Printing such a magazine would be very expensive without extensive sponsor support. We say we'd like one just for us film folks but would we pay $14 each for a quarterly issue and could we all be satisfied with someone else's editorial selections.</p>

<p>I still subscribe to the British weekly <em>Amateur Photographer.</em> It has a good mix of editorial content that includes film, as it's more photography oriented than hardware oriented. There are far more articles on Photoshop techniques than darkroom techniques, but it does feature much content from Geoffrey Crawley, the noted designer of a range of film developers, whose expertise spans the technical side of both film and digital photography. </p>

<p>Guys,</p>

<p>In Japan there are numerous magazines dedicated to film. Though I can only decipher the articles many profile photographers and their equipment. One called Camera is wonderful. It does publish articles on digital cameras like the Leica 8, but on the whole it profiles film cameras, like Nikon F or Contax G1 or Yashicamat TLR. Another interesting magazine is call Used Cameras. It profiles used cameras in use and also has an extensive curtrent listing of price for excellent to mint condition used film cameras. I guess I am lucky living in the land of cameras.</p>

<p>Mike</p>

<p>Yeah, I gave up on the commonly available photographic magazines years ago too. I don't need to read the latest 'shoot-out' between the thirty new DSLR models that were launched that month (although I appreciate that some people might)!<br /><br>

I remember when an issue of the various publications I used to read had maybe one or two camera reviews, simply because film cameras had a much longer market lifespan than todays digital bodies. This, in turn, forced the editors to find other material to fill the pages; technique articles, photographer interviews and the like. Of course, there were also the inevitable pages of ads, but even those were useful in the days before the internet!</p>

<p>In addition to those already mentioned look at Photo Technique. It covers both digital and film based photography. Howard Bond and Bruce Barnbaum are regular contributors with articles on view camera technique and B&W darkroom printing.<br>

Ron Gratz</p>

<p>And that is the state of affairs right now. Back in the day, the equipment reviews and technical reports followed at least a modicum of standardization if only because the articles were written by a limited number of professional journalists. These days, anyone can publish anything on the internet with no fact checking. It's like wading trough a swamp to find a jewel.</p>

<p>I have given up on modern photo magazine also. Instead, I shop the bay for past issues of US camera and popular photography, modern photography, etc. They are fun to read and you can find out things about your new old camera you might not have known. Just look for the time period you are interested in its probably for sale. I am interested in 1930--1970's. Happy hunting.</p>

Black and White Magazine is pretty good, and it seems to be half and half film and digital. Actually, I've noticed that they do tend to focus more on black and white film, and there are a lot of ads in it for paper and darkroom equipment.

Then there's View Camera and LensWork. LensWork did focus mostly on film, but it seems like they're starting to edge more towards digital lately :(

Probably my favorite photoraphy magazine is "Silvershotz" and they focus almost exclusively on film and traditional photography. They have a lot of articles that discuss traditional and alternative darkroom techniques. Occasionally, they discuss digital...but they're still tightly focused on traditional photography. Unfortunately, it's also really expensive. I buy single issues when I see it at Barnes and Noble, but I can't afford a subscription right now.

There's also a new magazine called "Creative Image Maker." It will be exclusively about film photography. I just submitted an article, in fact, discussing the Kodak Brownie 2A and how to use it with 120 film. It's only an online magazine right now, but they are planning to put it into print. So far, apparently, they've had a pretty good response.

http://creativeimagemaker.co.uk/

But yeah, I'm getting really fed up with looking in photography magazines and they all look like advertisements for DSLR's. The other half of it is just screen shots from Photoshop. And has anyone else noticed that if you go into a book store, all the so-called "Photography" magazines are by the computer magazines?

Great...I can read a review about Windows 7, get Linnux, and "learn how to photoshop my kewl pics" all from the same source. I'm surprised they don't have a magazine just for taking MySpace "pics."

There are film photography magazines out there...but just stay away from most of the mainstream ones. They're all ads for digital cameras and articles about "photoshopping" your pictures.

<p><strong><em>Nature Photographer</em> </strong> is a really good quarterly magazine in which the articles and pictures are all from the readers, called field contributors; you get this title and privilege after you pay a certain subscription amount. The quality of submissions is really outstanding and the editor, Helen Longest-Slaughter, is an excellent editor. The submissions are a great mix of film and digital and are submitted by average people like most of us as well as experts like John and Barbara Gerlach who've published numerous books and articles. Another cool magazine that has mostly film submissions is <strong><em>JPeg</em> </strong> magazine which has both an online magazine and a hard copy found in a lot of bookstores. Google it for more info.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the above links; I will chase them up. Already looked at Creative Image Maker and it's very refreshing to see something going in this direction without compromise at last.<br>

I gave up buying photography magazines a long time ago as they are primarily a vehicle for advertising. Since the mass market is for digital, then the content must reflect this if the magazine is to attract the advertisers. Other than this, it is often the case that the same old themes are regurgitated endlessly. You are far better off buying a few good technique books and any portfolio type books that take your fancy. I think time is also well spent looking at other art forms. The most difficult thing in any art is acquiring and portraying new ideas and keeping the impetus to go on looking. This will not come from gazing at yet another over saturated landscape in cliche format on the pages of "Camera Vendor Weekly".<br>

That said, I do buy "The British Journal of Photography" from time to time as it deals with the social, political and business medium in which photographers have to operate. It also occasionally has some good reviews, portfolios and general interest articles. And very little advertising.</p>