The "What in the world is that ? ! ? !" thread - Feb 05, 2010

tom_mann1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Okay, I think I've got it. The foreground is the tall grass on the near side of a creek or channel and the top is the reflection of grass on the other side.<br>

Another hint: the third piece of glass is responsible for the color.</p>

<p>I think we've hit our limit for back & forth on my red ripple. It is an old Voigtlander polarizing filter. The polarizing film has shrunk & shriveled - trapped between the two pieces of clear glass. The red color comes from a blown glass ornament hanging in the window.<br>

I'll see if i can dig up another obscure shot.</p>

<p>OK, it looks like Sarah and I get another chance to submit, so try this one p'netters ....</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>PS - I think I may have posted this before in photo.net, so if you happen to remember this image, pls. say so, but don't give away the answer ... at least for a while. ;-)</p>

<div>00Vhx9-218209584.thumb.jpg.9b3bafb992a9d34ba78f8714f782391c.jpg</div>

<p>John - You're getting warmer. People do come down the structure very quickly, but the people are not in cars, cabs, gondolas, or other mechanical conveyances such as you would find in an amusement park. The people come down one at a time.</p>

<p>Best hint of all (... almost a give-away) this structure is only used in the winter, and you'll be seeing a lot of this type of contraption in the next month or so, even though there are only a handful of them in the world!</p>

<p>:-)</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>PS - I just looked at the "about" section of your personal web site. After what I read about your background, you, OF ALL PEOPLE, should now be able to ID this structure. ;-)</p>

<p>Tim, John - Exactly! It's the larger of the two jumps at Lake Placid, shot from directly below. A more conventional view is here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2015/1845834285_65259389c9_o.jpg.</p>

<p>Since you both ID'ed it, if eithr of you feel like submitting another image to the thread, go for it!</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Tom M.</p>

<p>PS - John, I also used to be a certified ski instructor. I usually wound up assisting a few adaptive lessons per season, and was quite attracted to it, but never went for certification in that specialty. My hat is off to you and anyone who does that sort of work. PPS - I've been to western Scotland, Skye, etc. a few times and absolutely love your area. Generations ago, I presumably had family from there, but never tracked them down.</p>

<p> </p>