10+ years on photo.net. . . is it time to move on?

warrenb

<blockquote>

<p>...I have to step in here and say that photo.net was a gear-head site before it was anything else. 1997 or so.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm with Josh on this one. Don't know if most already know this but this site was started by MIT alumni graduates. </p>

<p>I don't think you can get more gear-head than that. It's the reason I subscribed and stayed with this site going on about 6 years. And my background is as a graphic artist, production/prepress technician, computer troubleshooter, all around cartoonist and I'll throw in ventriloquist as well.</p>

<p>In other words smart people hang out here where sound and critical thinking, reasoning and communicating talks and bullsh*t walks.</p>

<p>I don’t usually participate in these threads however I do read most of them. Nothing in life stays the same and that my friends is what makes life (at least mine) so interesting. Chances are your memories of the good old days are a bit perceptive as well…things were never like they used to be.</p>

<p>The fact that this site has such big and diverse member base should be a credit to all of those who have participated over the years. I don’t have the tenure of some members, I do find my $ well spent for the support and help I have received from so many fine photogs! I look at my earlier photos and the much better ones I am taking now; this would not have been possible without the gained knowledge and helpful advice from others on this site.</p>

<p>I have made friends with folks that I would have never met any other way, met up with people while traveling, met local photographers and have plans to network with others. Where else could I get this same opportunity? Like David and a few others pointed out….where would you go…. I visit and am a member on some other sites…trust me folks the grass is green, lush and well tended on this side of the fence!</p>

<p><em>"I have seen a rise in digital alterations that contain colors that are simply not found in nature, and I'm always amazed at the glowing comments they receive..."</em><br>

i used to believe that old canard, until i was walking through the woods and encountered this brilliant electric chartruse moss on a tree trunk. the afternoon sun was hitting it and it was practically on fire! [this is not to excuse excessive phoney photoshop manipulation.]<br>

i love this site, but i'm not sure i'm good enough to post photos or offer sound, sensible critiques. it's going to sound like heresy to say it here, but i have a great time on flickr. the networking, interaction, the breadth of coverage are second to none. i come here for the forums and columns. </p>