Manual focus on the 7D?

JohnMWright

<p>I currently own a 50D with a small array of lenses. I recently inherited a pair of manual focus lenses, a Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 micro and a Tamron 400mm f/4. I adapted both to EOS to experiment, and found that outside of bright contrasty lighting, I cannot achieve good focus. I thought about getting a Katzeye screen but I may upgrade soon enough to make that a wasted effort.</p>

<p>The 7D is one possibility for upgrade, but of course the focusing screens are not interchangeable. So has anyone out there used manual focus reliably on the 7D without focus confirmation? I'm just curious.</p>

<p>If the answer is, you tried and you cannot, then what brand(s) of Nikon-EOS adapters with focus confirmation work well?</p>

<p>Thanks for your feedback.</p>

<p>I've been using my 7d for video and thus manually focusing with a mk1 50mm f1.8.<br>

The focus confirmation does work with this set up, although I doubt very much that this lens is communicating focus distance to the camera, so I'm guessing it must be by 'sight' at the AF point and as such it should work with adapted lenses.<br>

I also focus by eye and check it using the 5x and 10x zoom in live view, so really i don;t think you'll need a new screen.<br>

You can fit an after-market screen but you would lose all of the funky LCD functions. I think the viewfinder on the 7D is just about the best i've used.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>You can fit an after-market screen but you would lose all of the funky LCD functions. I think the viewfinder on the 7D is just about the best i've used.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>For me the 7D's VF is astounding. What an improvement over the XXD cameras. I love the grid. MF is easier and I even once for first time ever turned on Live View on the ferry boat going home yesterday just to see if it actually worked. ;-)</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. I always forget about liveview; I just prefer using the viewfinder. Liveview might be an option for some uses but not all. Anyway it is good to know the 7D is so improved. </p>

<p>I'd still like feedback on good brands of focus confirmation adapters.</p>

<p>Indeed the 7D VF is a little better than the 50D for MF. However I recently took my old FM3A out and MF is 10 easier than the 7D, so don't expect the 7D to remotely approach the "pop in focus" feel of a good MF film camera.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Thats a great comparison Puppy face. Well done you.<br>

Maybe John should get an EOS 1Ds series camera with spit prism screen fitted.<br>

Or a 5D2?<br>

Both well above the budget he mentioned.<br>

Would they come close to an FM3 do you think? <br>

Sorry John, I thought you asked about the 7D for manually focusing. If I'd known Puppy Face was going to pull rank I would have suggested you get a Gandolfi for real control over manual focusing.<br>

The problem I had with my FM3 was the limited capacity (36 shots) slow drive rate and the very slow review time (2 weeks with ISO 64) but yeah. It focused great.<br>

So don't expect a Puppy Face answer to remotely approach the 'pop in context' feel of somebody less smart than him.</p>