Light meter recommendation

alex_dannenbaum

<p>I would like to purchase a light meter that would be good for someone new to light meters. I guess I need something simple that I can learn on. Can someone recomend a good starter light meter? <br>

I am going to a Photo Swap meet tomorrow so, if there is an older model that you could recommend (in addition to newer ones) your advice would be welcomed. </p>

<p>Alex</p>

<p>Any good incident meter will do. Occasionally you'll luck into an old selenium cell type meter than doesn't need batteries, still in functional condition. I had a Bewi Automat from the 1950s that was still working when I gave it away a couple of years ago. Often those older batteryless meters have long since died.</p><div>00VhKF-217805684.jpg.87ee75a8c8e5c83cc22824519ac889e8.jpg</div>

<p>Be aware that many older CdS meters used the now-banned mercury batteries (625, etc), and it may be hard to find replacements that are really satisfactory in terms of longevity and/or current.<br /> Selenium cells do fail over time, but if one has been kept in the dark for years, it may work for quite a while before it fails.</p>

<p>Modern, new meters are expensive, but take batteries that are still available.</p>

<p>I have some older selenium cell batteries that still work, but my favorite meter is my Gossen Luna-Pro SBC which takes ordinary 9-volt batteries like the one you probably have in your smoke detector. It is frequently offered on eBay and other such sites. The meter is one on which you spin the wheel to set the needle to "0" and is very simple to use.</p>

<p>If you can find some old meter that still works, Butkus (<a href="http://www.butkus.org/chinon/flashes_meters.htm">link</a> ) may well have a manual on how to use it. It is also good to be aware that some really old meters may use non-ISO (ASA) systems, but most of these (but not all) are now dead.</p>

<p>I use the Konica Minolta flash meter VI and I love it. You can do both incident and spot metering, as well as flash metering. I think it's rather intuitive if you want to jump right in. The manual is well-written for more advanced uses as you grow into using various techniques.</p>

<p>Well, over the years I have acquired a Weston Master V, a Pentax Digital Spotmeter, a Polaris, and a Sekonic L-358. In that order.<br>

I could have stopped with the Polaris, but didn't because of the radio capability of the Sekonic. Radio triggering with the Sekonic is a real blessing.<br>

Silicon photodiodes all die, after about 15 years, so I had my Weston repaired. That cost almost as much as the Polaris. My Weston is an old buddy and we have seen many miles together. It is entirely competent, but does not measure flash, of course.<br>

All of this is to convince you to buy the inexpensive Polaris straight up; it'll save you time and money. The Polaris does flash metering as well. It will work just fine to get you up and running.</p>