Diagram for Mamiya KL 90mm

paul_ong1

<p>Does anyone know where I can get a diagram for a Mamiya KL 90mm lens? I have a broken one, so I want to disassemble it.</p>

<p>Also, can anyone tell me how the front floating element works? Rotating the focusing ring does not appear to do anything.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Hi Paul,<br>

Rotate the adjustment ring and look at the front bezel. You can see the front element moving in and out by about 1mm.<br>

The KL, because of the floating element, may not be ideal for your project if this is the same lens you were trying to remove the cells from in previous posts?</p>

<p>Paul, I guess you got the package? That KL floating system is not hooked up in that lens. On the side of the barrel, you'll see a large slot head screw. Remove the screw. Now on the side of the barrel you'll see some holes where the thumb grips were... loosen those littel screws and rotate the ring to access all of em.<br>

That lens comes appart from the top down. Un do screws and take off each layer like a cake. The cell should unscrew first like a light bulb. Take out the rear cell now. Then the cone comes off... more screws n another layer comes out. F stop ring, speed ring and you are at the shutter now. Turn it over and take off the retaining ring, the black ring around where the rear cell was. The barrels should now split and the shutter is in your hand.<br>

Did you take appart the other lenses?</p>

<p> </p>

The more you say, the less people listen.

<p>Archie, no I have not, but if all else fails, I will.<br>

David, thanks. The front element does not seem to be moving. You may be right that the lens is not appropriate for my project, but it is broken so I want to work on it.<br>

Paul, yes the package came a couple of days ago. Only had a little time in the evening to work on them. I have disassembled the non-C 90mm and 180mm. The front lens of the 180mm is very scratched up, so it may not see much use. Removing the name plate was a pain because it was cross threaded, and I eventually had to cut it out. I hope to mount the non-C 90mm in a week. All that is left is the 90mm KL lens. Thanks for the instruction. The name plate on the 90mm KL is badly cross threaded, so again I may have to cut it out.</p>

<p>The rings aren't cross threaded, you just have to use even preaure to unscrew them. In fact they are alomost out on their top threads, I checked that before I mailed em so you wouldn't have trouble getting em out. I was going to take em complaetely appart for you but I figured they were easy enough to get opened. Wet your index fingers, and one on each side, turn it gently and the ring will come right up. Put too much preasure on it and it jams. Use tangential preasure, not bownward force or you will cause it to jump threads.<br>

The floating part of the lens is not broken, it's not hooked up. When you turn the ring, you are turning the entire cell. I losened everything so you wouldn't have a hard time taking it appart. All it takes is a bit of patience and some mechanical intuition. There are screws on the sides of the len that have to get losened so the barrels can split. The floating adjustment ring has a large screw to be removed first, then the you can unscrew the layers n remove em one at a time, top down, the work on the backside.<br>

I may have a diagram in the reapir manual of another lens with a floater, the 50mm lens, similar in design. I'll scan it later and post it for ya.</p>

The more you say, the less people listen.

<p>Paul Ron,<br>

Thanks for the additional advice. I think the name plates got partially pushed in during the shipping. USPS does not handle things well.</p>

<p>We tried lubricating the plate on the non-C 90mm, and then we drilled two holes to use them to insert prongs for greater leverage. Neither worked. I had to cut the plate, and it clearly showed the plate was off a thread. The 90mm KL plate was even worse, with one side pushed down about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch relative to the other side. Had to use some force to remove that one, which was plastic so it had some give.</p>

<p>I guess the lesson is not to trust USPS.</p>

<p>I was able to reattach the floating element to the ring, although it would be great to have a diagram because I now have to realign the lens cell and the rotating ring. The good news is that it appears like I will be able to use the stripped down KL for my project with the ability to adjust the floating lens. I may even be able to discard the Mamiya rotating ring and housing to make the lens even lighter, but that is a future project.</p>

<p>I have not had a Mamiya lens with a floating lens. Can anyone tell me how to focus it? Do I first focus the whole assembly and then adjust the floating element? Thanks.</p>