Sport Lens

shae_knight

<p>Hi,<br>

I have a Canon Rebel XS with the kit lens.<br>

I am on a pretty limited budget, but was wondering what would be a good lens to buy for sports? My little brother plays high school basketball and baseball, and I want to be able to get good pictures of him pitching.<br>

Any information would be great.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Shae</p>

<p>What is your budget?</p>

<p>Save up and just get the Canon EF 70-200mm f/<strong>2.8</strong> L <strong>IS</strong> USM used. I've bolded the important criteria for sports photography.</p>

<p>Here is an example of where you will be starting http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130363544374&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT.</p>

<p>Buy it once right, and it will be yours for many years.</p>

<p>Expect to pay around $1300 US used with the box. If needed, a new or used 77mm multicoated UV filter will be less than $100 US.</p>

<p>The 55-200 mentioned is not that good. The EF-s 55-250 / IS however is in the same price bracket and very usable.</p>

<p>Indoor the 50/1.8 should do just fine. If you need anything longer the price starts mounting. (100/2 is still sort of affordable, 200/2.8 is getting pretty expensive. Longer or faster... don't even ask.)</p>

<p>Another indoor sports lens to consider is the EF 100mm f/2. Very similar to the 85mm but will get you a little tighter shots. The clarity is on a par with my L lenses, it is small and easy to use in tight areas, and it is amazingly fast focusing lens. This will be in your budget. Read Roger Cicala's take on this lens at LensRentals.com.<br>

I agree with the other contributors. I carry the EF 70-200 f/2.8L to all sporting events especially High School football and soccer in poorly lit stadiums. For baseball I agree that this lens would be the lens of choice unless you have the big bucks to buy a 300mm f2.8 prime. </p>

<p>The 200mm f2.8 EF II is one of canons sharpest lenses and supremely fast focusing.<br>

Limited slightly by the lack of zoom, but in my experience this makes you think a little more before taking your shots and having to think a little less when taking them.<br>

On a rebel it equates to a 320mm f2.8.... just look how much 5D and 1Ds users have to pay for one of them...</p>

<p>As one who has done a lot of sports I think Tommy Lee offers the most sensible advice for your price range. I did a lot of basketball from sitting just behind the hoop. 50 mm on a 1.6 crop body may be a little long for the real close shots from there, however, the low light capability is great. Watch your depth of field, it gets pretty tight at 1.8.</p>

<p>You might be able to find a used 70-200mm f2.8 non-IS for under $1000; that would be a great lens for indoor or outdoor sports. For sports, there is not much use in IS since it has nothing to do with the moving players. You could also look at third party 70-200 f2.8's which are around $800. </p>

The 70-200 f/4L is fine for outdoor daylight sports and can be had used for around $500. I have a lot of great shots of my son playing baseball and soccer (I since sold it for as much as I paid for it and got the f/2.8 when my daughter started with gymnastics indoors).

<p>You don't need I.S. for a sports lens. That is so silly. Who would even contemplate that?</p>

<p>Two best "budget" sports lenses: 70-200 2.8L and the 85 1.8. They both are fast and achieve focus FAST. The 70-200 2.8L is pretty much "THE" sports lens.</p>

<p>Ditto Ken Papai except I don't know if I would call them "budget" lenses. </p>

<p>The 70-200 2.8 would be my first choice if you don't mind the size/weight and if you do you will quickly get over it once you see what it can produce.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>For baseball, where you can use f8 in bright day light, a zoom like EF55-200mm IS (~$250) could do well.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If it is the EF-S 55-250 IS you are talking about, I just wanted to add one thing. This lens is easily useable wide open at f5.6. It is quite sharp there are doesn't sharpen up much further with stopping down.</p>