RZ Pro I: Unrecognized Blurred Object in the viewfinder

WAn

<p>Dear All,<br /> could anyone explain the nature of the following ghost:<br />I extended the bellow to maximum, stopped the lens down to maximum, pressed the DOF level and pointed the camera to the bright area. At the top of the focusing screen I saw a bar-shaped blurry shadow (see the attachment; to emphasize I pained the ghost in blue although actually it is black of course).<br /> <br />I removed the back and found no obstacles in the light path even at the edges of the frame.<br /> <br />I suppose it is parts of internal gear that for some reason is visible on the focusing screen but it should have no effect on the film. What do you think about?</p><div>00VetE-216385784.jpg.26574dad7cfa944f1303948430661fcb.jpg</div>

<p>My take on it:<br /> Large telephoto's do the same thing with their the light rays being near parallel . Higher magnification <strong>"bellow to maximum"</strong> with stopping down is similar, this allows you to see the mirror boarder/limit in the viewing system.<br>

Of course it doesn't affect the image caught on the film since the mirror flips up...</p>

<p>Gus, your explanation makes sense to me.<br>

John, good idea, I'll try as soon as I figure out how to remove the screen...<br>

I wonder can other RZ owners see the same thing on the screen in the described conditions?</p>

<p>Andrey, your camera looks like an RZ11 because it has the fine-focus knob.<br>

The small projection in the "blue" area is in the same place as the lower mirror clip. I think the bright area is the mirror and the dark area...isn't! In other words the dark area is not reflecting light upwards and in some lighting conditions you can "see through" a focus screen as well as see the image<br>

Next to the single focus screen clip on the right side (two clips on the left) is a little ridge - lift it with your fingernail, hold the screen only by its edges.</p>

<p>David, you're right!<br />I finally won the little battle with the focusing screen (it was simpler than I expected) and indeed, the ghost is the mirror clip. Probably because the viewfinder shows not 100% of the final image, it is possible to see the edge of the mirror in certain conditions.<br>

I thank you all who helped me to solve this little mystery.<br>

It is my first week with RZ and I feel I became confident with it.<br>

Cheers!<br>

P.S. David, I took the first appropriate picture from the manual for sake of illustration. My own RZ does not have fine-focus knob, so it is the first RZ.</p>