Apple Tablet as Place to Dump Images?

carbon_dragon

<p>I agree with Kosta: This is not intended as a laptop replacement.</p>

<p>And I agree with Jeff Spirer: It's not designed to be a working tool for a photographer. It will never run Photoshop or Lightroom, or even store many photos.</p>

<p>But I think that it will benefit photographers to the extent that it creates a more vital market for on-line publishing and thereby improves the market for professional photographs.</p>

<p>It will be interesting to see if this comes to pass.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This is the only thread I've really seen on the internet that takes a positive view of the iPad...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's not what I've seen. I've seen a pretty even mix of "I want that!" and "Steve Jobs must die!" There are a lot of ways to look at the thing - as an Internet pad, book reader, video player, thing to do Keynote presentations with. I saw one article about people who do medical records tech drooling over its potential as a device for doctors to carry around to see patients and keep the records and charts electronically. I'm sure I could think of things to do with a 1.5 pound always-on internet connection at $30/month. I think the jury's still out on usefulness for photography, but the fact that so many people are having a reaction to that perceived usefulness or lack thereof speaks to the potential being there. Since the total information available is pretty thin, it won't be out for 2 months and all they've said about photography is "there's going to be this optional dongle" I think any judgment is extremely premature.</p>

<p>I suppose it's too much to ask to wait for them to actually ship before we decide if it's OSHA time (Our Savior Has Arrived). While it certainly has the potential to reduce the weight of carrying textbooks around - and the battery life seems to be notably better than many other devices (unless you carry spares, etc.) but I kind of wonder about really replacing the laptop for college students, etc. It's not likely to crack the high school and junior high market as a text book alternative until they find a way to make it an educational device and not a toy. for college students, there seem to be some use limits that might mean a laptop is required anyways so that may make it at least a little redundant for many users.</p>