Depth of field

vinod_pawar2

<p>Depth of field is a reference to how much of the scene you're shooting is in focus. This depends on the lens you're using, the format of camera you're using, the aperture setting on the lens, and the distance between you and your subject.<br /><br />What many people mean when they say "what is depth of field" is actually, "how do I get more, or less depth of field?" Meaning, sometimes you want your subject (like a person) to be in focus, but may want the background to be thoroughly <em>out</em> of focus, so that it's not distracting. In that case, you're looking for shallow depth of field. On the other hand, you might be shooting a group of people, and want to be sure that the people in the front of the group are in focus, as well as the people in the back of the group. For that, you'd need <em>more</em> depth of field. <br /><br />To control it, you have to make a fairly complex decision about distances, exposure, composition, and more. <br /><br />But in the very simplest terms: when you open up the lens' aperture to allow it to take in more light (thus lowering the f/number on the scale, say to f/2.8), you're decreasing the resulting DoF. When you stop the lens down (raising the f-stop number, perhaps to something like f/8), you're increasing the depth of field, but also reducing how much light the lens is gathering ... and you need to make up for that with a slower shutter speed, or a higher ISO setting on the camera.<br /><br />Every lens has "depth of field" just like every car has "speed." To help you apply this topic more directly, it might help if you mentioned what it is you're actually thinking of shooting, under what circumstances, using what equipment, and with what eventual use in mind.</p>

<p>Mat/Bob<br>

Thanks for simple langauge specialy answer from Mat !!!Actully i can read articles given in this site but i was expecting simple langauge that i got from Matt<br>

Anyways thanks both of u,i like to post my doubts and i really thnakful to all people who repying me from their busy shedule<br>

Regards from India and god bless u all.</p>

<p>It determines how much is in focus and how much is out of focus in a photo. A small f number causes a shallow dof, meaning the object you focus on is in focus and everything in front of and behind it is out of focus. A large f number causes a deep dof, meaning everything from your feet to the horizon are in focus.</p><div>00VbnF-214115584.JPG.afc1f3399a3ed4273d84dffde5908633.JPG</div>

<p>heres another example at f/20, I couldn't figure out how to get 2 pics on one post. See the difference between the two about how much is in focus. Focal length and working distance also play a huge part in DOF as well, but learning how the aperture affects the photo would be the first thing to master.</p><div>00VbnY-214117584.JPG.ed0e281d46e00e103f6de578819cdffe.JPG</div>

<p>A modest question...... and what's the meaning of life (while we're at it).<br>

In a nutshell a lens is capable of focusing on one single point a certain distance from the camera. However, for some distance in front of and behind that point the subject is perceived to be acceptably sharp. That distance, from the furthest acceptably sharp point to the closest acceptably sharp point is the depth of field. It depends upon f/stop, focal length and subject to camera distance.<br>

It is a huge subject and there have been tomes written on it. There are also charts and on-line calculators. I suggest you google the subject. You'll find lots out there. You might also want to google the name Harold Merklinger - he's written some very detailed stuff on focus and dof; perhaps more than you need.</p>

<p>Good luck, Dave D</p>