Nikon 85mm F3.5 VR

peter_kervarec

<p>Hi All<br>

just wondering if there is someone out there with one of these lenses - new Nikon 85mm F3.5 VR AND maybe an 85 F1.8 ? I am looking around for comparison sharpness tests and maybe MTF data ? Maybe a comparison with the 70-200VR also. I think it would be a great lens for weddings on a D300. Ideal for portraits plus shooting rings, jewellery, etc<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>If you check the Popular Photography website, you should be able to find the lens test data on the VR 85mm lens.</p>

<p>Using a micro-Nikkor lens for wedding portraits may be good and it may end up being too good...not every bride wants to see how many pores are not covered completely with make-up.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Peter assume that these lenses are all good enough or even better for what you need.<br>

These lenses are so extremely different in price and practical use that this should be your base for decision.<br>

If you need a zoom go for the zoom if you need macro then the choice is clear as well.<br>

If you need a small fast lens for a good price go for the 85m f1.8.</p>

<p>Take a 70-200VR and if you want macro lens you canon use a Canon 500D filter, 77mm. It gives you nice results with 70-200VR and you don't need macro lens.<br>

I have a Tamron 90/2.8 for macro and a Nikon 105/2 DC for potrait. A lot of people told me to sell this lens and buy a single one - 105VR AF-S micro lens. I can combine two lens in one. But like Jerry told before, macro lens is for macro photography, not for portrait.<br>

Maybe you can use a macro lens with a soft filter. I don't know, I never used this kind of filters. But maybe is an option for you.</p>

<p>Hi Jerry Walter Mircea<br>

I will take on board all that you have said. I have been an active working photographer for over 30 years so I am only interested in the technical quality of this lens, I already know how I will be using it. The straight 85 in both 1.4 & 1.8 are sharp and cant imagine the new version F3.5 VR being sharper than these for portraiture.<br>

I like the VR with this lens and think its a very influential factor.</p>

<p>No VR is really *effective* up close. That is, if you intend to extract the sharpest possible image quality. If your requirements are more lax, then VR works. My approach is using tripods whenever possible and here VR fails miserably.</p>

<p>I have diabled VR on the (few) lenses I own with this feature.</p>

<p>Actually I didn't notice the 85 had VR until I read the paperwork that accompanied it :)</p>