syncing a geared-lens Ricohflex

<p>I see that this question has been posted before, but I'm not any wiser after reading through the threads. So if you have successfully set the taking and viewing lenses of a geared-lens TLR to focus at the same distance, please let me know what I am doing wrong.</p>

<p>I have a Ricohflex, one of the models with gear-coupled lenses. When I got it, the focus threads were completely seized, so I took it completely apart to clean and put new grease in the focus threads. <br /><br />Now, I am having trouble getting the taking and viewing lenses to focus at the same distance. I think I got the shutter and both lenses in the same way they came out, with the two flat circular shims in the original place. <br /><br />At the film plane, I focused the taking lens on a target at 5 feet, then tried to do the same with the viewing lens, but the front element casing comes out of the threads before I can focus on the target. <br /><br />There is a collar that allows for a few mm of adjustment of the distance between the body and the taking lens front element. I tried giving it more or less distance, but still the same problem. <br /><br>

If the lens threads have more than one entrance, it seems like it shouldn't make any difference which entrance is used, as the geared-ring part can be mounted at any position.<br>

<br />Any tips?? <br /><br />--scott</p>

<p>I believe the closest working distance is 6 feet. But to set up any lens on any camera you must place a ground glass at the film plane and focus on an object like a sign on a post at least 300 feet away, using a strong lupe to focus on the ground glass, maybe even with a dark cloth to avoid glare. Do each lens individually, make a witness mark, count the revolutions and reassemble carefully without disturbing anything. Never check focus on anything closer than 300 feet(infinity).</p>

<p>The viewing lens is marked down to 3.5 feet.</p>

<p>If I intended to use this camera mainly for landscapes or skylines, then I would definitely set the focus at infinity. In my own experience, at least, there is always going to be a considerable focus error; if I set a lens at infinity, then there is error at close distances. If I set it at a relatively close distance, then the error will be at 'infinity'. I want to use this camera for protraits, so I would rather the error be at the other end of the scale.</p>

<p>I want to be sure that what I am seeing on the ground glass is the same image that is at the film plane, at the distances at which I anticipate using the camera most. </p>