Wireless Remote control for Canon 50D

alex_dannenbaum

<p>I own a 50D and a Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3 which has worked quite well. Now I would like to get a wireless remote control primarly to use for photographing birds and other wildlife from a distance. (I prop my camera in a good location then hide 50 yds away firing off shots.) I know next to nothing about wireless remotes. When I go to B&H the Canon LC-5 runs around $370. If I look on eBay there are some cheap systems made by Yongnuo(?) <strong>YN-126 f</strong>or about $30. They seem to offer similar features, or maybe I am missing something. <br>

Obviously the Yongnuo sounds too good to be true, so I am naturally sceptical. Does the Yongruo actually work? I am sure the Canon is far better quality, but can I get away with the cheaper Youngnuo. What will the Canon do that the Yongrnuo can't? Are there other non-Canon models I should consider?</p>

<p>As a further comment, I am beginning to think that it may be a wise move to set up my camera/tripod in a good location where birds, etc. congregate with my trusty 70-200 f/4, and shoot from 5 yds away, than spend several thousand $$$ for a very long lens so I can get a similar shot from 50 yds away. A little smartz and some patience can go a long way. If I can run this kind of experiment on the cheap, it would be fun. </p>

<p>Hahnel make one which has adaptors to fit most current Canon DSLR's including the 50D. B&H sell it for about $70, check out their website. I think you might be better buying from a well known retailer in your own country than from Ebay, just for the peace of mind if nothing else. Not sure about the range but B&H will know that.</p>

<p>Alex, I have used just about all of them. The Chinese versions on eBay are ok up to 20 feet. If your going to use it less than 20 feet, they work great with good battery life. I still have one that is 3 years old and it works on the same battery. But after getting frustrated with the range, I went with Pocket Wizards. Not only you can trip your camera from 200 to 300 feet, you can also use them for your off camera flash. I have never had a misfire with my PW. I'm not sure how far they will work (they claim 1600 feet) but I have never had to shoot that far. All I know it works at 300 feet easily. V/R Buffdr</p>

<p>I use an ebay wireless remote and think it works great. I get about a 50 foot range with mine, I even once set the camera outside on a tripod next to a bird feeder and triggered it from within the house. The canon version and pocket wizards are naturally superior but cost a small fortune (well beyond my graduate student stipend), if you are doing professional work they'd be worth every penny. My remote certainly feels cheap, but it works and has held up fine for over 2 years. When it does bite the dust it's cheap to replace. </p>

<p>As for ebay sellers, I've bought quite a bit from Hong Kong sellers and never had a problem. Just have a look at their feedback rating, the good ones have been operating for years and will have thousands of positive feedback scores. Look at seller Linkdelight, they are one of my "go to" sellers</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>I bought a Hongkong-made MK-RC6 off Amazon a few days ago, which arrived this morning - total cost just over £15 ($22?) The instructions in English (translated by a Mandarin?) are complete gibberish, but you don't need to be Einstein to figure out how it works. The Wireless receiver plugs into the remote female plug on the side of the EOS50D. It can be slid into the hot shoe for convenience or left dangling. On it there is an on/off power switch, and a remote shutter release button, if you don't need or want to be some distance away, with the transmitter.<br>

The transmitter has a small extendable aerial, a button to transmit, and a sliding switch between shutter delayed release (3 seconds?) and B. B is the setting to trigger immediate shutter action. With considerable experimentation, I also eventually figured out how to make the transmitter also trigger timed exposures with the camera set to BULB. The instructions were very far from clear! But for $22, discovery that it does work if you can figure it out was more than ample reward for the very considerable saving. Transmission range is claimed at about 100 meters ("under spacious non disturbance environment" - whatever that may mean!) and the replaceable battery in the receiver can cope with about 1000 shots apparently. More to follow if I discover significant downsides...</p>

<p>Significant Downsides! Although both batteries areproviding full voltage, the transmitter and receiver are not communicating if more than about three feet apart - so much for 100 meters' range.<br>

If supplier replaces with non-defective unit, I will update you.</p>

<p>Just back from Ffordes of Beauly, the Leica agents, who have sold me a Chinese wireless remote control, GD-C3R, by Premium Photography Accessories, compatible with CanonRS-80N3 cord, which they demonstrated pre-purchase works up to 30 metres, for £19.99 ($25?). My recommendation to avoid hassle is to buy from a local stockist, to be sure it will do what it says on the can!</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>I bought a Canon 6D about a month ago - you may want to know that the GD-c3R remote control I bought for my EOS 50D also works in the new 6D! <br /><br />I am still looking for the wifi remote app for Symbian phones. It seems Canon's Remote App will only work in Androids/Iphone etc. If anyone comes across a Symbian app which works please let me know.</p>