.cr2 files dont work. HELP!

tony_black1

<p><strong>I had 480 raw files that i have downloaded couple days ago to my macbookpro desktop. then i have created a new folder and moved them to my external hard disk by using bridge. anyways they get lost! </strong><br>

<strong>later on i have discovered this software called 'data rescue 3' and run the program. the software worked great and found my 480 raw files shot by canon 5d mk ii. </strong><br>

<strong>but now those recovered raw files doesnt work in digital photo pro software. i mean i can preview them and do color corrections but when i try to convert and save them i get an error message. is there anyway i can save these raw shots? </strong></p>

<p>Rethink your image file workflow:</p>

<p>1. Copy (drag & drop) via a card reader your image files to your PC/Mac folder.<br>

2. Next, back these files up to an external source, preferably a hard drive, the same day.<br>

3. Do not erase your CF card until you've confirmed #1 and #2.</p>

<p>This is is ultra basic workflow 101.</p>

<p>I use Digital Photo Pro 3.6.2<br>

I used to convert and save the images before this incident.<br>

It says, An Error occured, and the detail window says, Decoding failed.<br>

I guess i need to find a software which rescues corrupted cr2 files. any suggestions?</p>

<p>Sometimes the data rescue software (depending on manufacturer/version) only saves in certain formats but will retain the .cr2 extension. (for example, Image rescue 2 (by lexar) recovered data from an old CF card that went bad (a friend's 1gb - Transcend card), the original files were raws. IR2 saved them in tiff format, but left their extension as *.cr2.) Lightroom seemed to figure it out though, or I would have had to manually rename for the proper file extension . Maybe your problem is similar?<br>

All data recovery tools essentially work the same way though, they read each bit, and then put the bits together, and write 'new' files based on what they're able to recover. Errors happen, and can cause unpredictable software responses.</p>

<p>IDK... ,but it sounds like your DPP is to blame, it's not as flexible as 3rd party stuff, and often cancelled exports for no apparent reason when I used it. My first advice would be upgrade to LR :-) (or at least the free 30-day trial!).</p>

<p>Try this: Go to the Adobe site and download their DNG converter. Then try to convert the RAW files to DNG. It's a batch process so only a couple keystrokes gets the process going. With 400+ files to convert go get a cup of coffee. Lightroom or Photoshop can read the DNG file. Then simply open and save as TIF of JPG. If there's a lesson to be learned from this, it's from now on shoot in RAW + JPEG mode so you have an escape route if this ever happens again. Good luck.</p>

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

<p>Hi , i just ran into this same problem( with error decoding failed and some look really bad) but I did a test and have noticed something when i transfer my RAW files over to my external drive, they say its a CR2 file but now i did a test and copied and pasted hole new but same set ( because i still had them on my card, thank god) onto my computer and there the files don't say CR2 and the same files that gave me trouble...open fine :)<br>

So I'm thinking something is wrong with my external drive, could that be possible?</p>

<p>Hi , i just ran into this same problem( with error decoding failed and some look really bad) but I did a test and have noticed something when i transfer my RAW files over to my external drive, they say its a CR2 file but now i did a test and copied and pasted hole new but same set ( because i still had them on my card, thank god) onto my computer and there the files don't say CR2 and the same files that gave me trouble...open fine :)<br>

So I'm thinking something is wrong with my external drive, could that be possible?</p>